A 22-year-old Limerick man is to make a contribution of €2,500 to the court poor box in the hope of leniency for an incident of so-called boy-racing during a motor rally in Killarney, Co Kerry.
Smoke was rising , the engine was revving, and rubber was burning when gardaí saw Michael Woulfe, aged 22, of South Keale, Athea, Co Limerick, at Minish, Killarney, on the main N22 at around 3am on May 3, 2014, the court heard from Superintendent Flor Murphy.
The car was a 1999 Toyota Corolla and Mr Woulfe had an audience of 150 people, the superintendent said.
Mr Woulfe did not turn up in court on a previous occasion when the matter was listed.
Padraig O’Connell, solicitor for Mr Woulfe, said his client had been working in England.
“There was a bit of bravado involved. He apologises,” he said. The charge was dangerous driving, but this might be lessened to careless driving, the court was told.
Judge James O’Connor said the incident was “very dangerous” and said a hefty contribution would be required. Mr O’Connell said his client was prepared to offer a sum of €2,500. The matter was adjourned.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved