Boy got detergent with chips in Dublin hotel

A 13-year-old boy who was served detergent with chips instead of vinegar at a New Year’s Eve family dinner in a Co Dublin hotel has been awarded a €4,000 settlement in the Circuit Civil Court.

Barrister Ray Delahunt told the court that on December 31, 2012, Raymond Allen was with his parents Owen Mellon and Svetlana Allen at the Radisson Blu St Helen’s Hotel, Stillorgan, Blackrock, when the incident happened. The court heard the family, with a previous address at Riverwood Crescent, Castleknock, Dublin, and who now live in Australia, had been eating chips with a meal when they realised a vinegar jug inadvertently contained detergent.

Mr Delahunt said Raymond had suffered stomach upset, diarrhoea, and psychological trauma following the incident and had been unable to eat for two days.


Lifestyle

Against popular wisdom and flying a plane made from bamboo, wire and bike handlebars, a Co Antrim woman blazed a sky trail for aviation and for the independence of women, writes Bette BrowneMagnificent Lilian Bland blazed a trail for independence of women in her plane of bamboo

The epic battle for the bridge at Arnhem, as depicted in the blockbuster 'A Bridge Too Far', saw the Allies aim to end the war by Christmas 1944, but failed as a huge airborne assault force failed to take the last bridge across the Rhine. In an extract from his latest book 'A Bloody Week', Dan Harvey tells the story of one of the hundreds of brave men from Ireland who gave their all to the Allied campaignThe bridge to war: Dan Harvey's new book looks at the Irish who went a bridge too far

More From The Irish Examiner