A judge has refused to grant bail to a 15-year-old boy charged with false imprisonment of a young man on a Dublin city centre street.
It is alleged the 19-year-old had been robbed and held for 15 minutes by youths, armed with a broken bottle, before his phone was taken and his bank card was unlawfully used to withdraw €220 from his account.
The teenage defendant had already spent over a week in custody. His bail hearing resumed yesterday when Judge James Faughnan heard the boy would stay out of Dublin if he was released.
He is the second juvenile to appear at the Dublin Children’s Court charged over the incident on June 2 last. He is accused of false imprisonment and robbery of the 19-year-old, who was allegedly held against his will at Preston St.
The boy, accompanied to court by care workers, had been initially granted bail last month with conditions he must reside at accommodation provided by the Child and Family Agency, obey a 9pm to 9am curfew and not have contact with his co-accused as well as another named youth.
However, he breached the curfew order on six out of 14 dates. When the issue of bail was addressed, solicitor Aenghus McCarthy pleaded with Judge Faughnan to release the boy subject to conditions.
The solicitor informed the court the boy would agree to stay out of Dublin and would attend drug abuse therapy arranged by his care workers.
The boy’s social worker has also said a recent move to a new care placement, outside Dublin, had resulted in an improvement in his behaviour.
However, the judge said the State objected to bail and the teen had been on his last chance when he broke court orders. He refused bail and remanded the boy in custody to appear again next week.
No plea was entered but at the next hearing a ruling is to be made as to whether the trial will be dealt with in the juvenile court or sent forward to the circuit court, which has greater powers.
Meanwhile, a 16-year-old co-accused charged with robbery in connection with the incident is due back in court in October.
During his proceedings, the juvenile court had been told youths armed with a broken bottle held the young man in a Dublin city centre lane for 15 minutes.
Garda John Saunderson had told the court it would be claimed the man was befriended by two youths and agreed to buy them cigarettes. Afterwards, he was allegedly threatened.
They walked him down a lane and searched him before his phone and ATM card were taken, it was alleged.
Garda Saunderson said it would be claimed one of the teenagers, with a broken bottle, held the man for 15 minutes while the second went to an ATM machine and withdrew €220.
Neither defendant can be named because they are minors.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved