Boxer Michael O’Reilly, who is before court for alleged breaches of the Public Order Act, may face more serious charges, according to gardaí.
The case against Mr O’Reilly, aged 23, of Mountrath, Co Laois, was adjourned again yesterday after Thurles District Court heard there was a delay in sending the file to the DPP.
The boxer, who left the Olympic Games in Rio in August after news emerged of a failed drugs test, is charged with being intoxicated in a public place; engaging in abusive, insulting, or threatening behaviour; and failing to comply with the directions of a garda.
These offences are alleged to have occurred during an “incident” at Ballybeg, Littleton, Co Tipperary, on April 18 this year.
Sergeant Declan O’Carroll told the court the case had already been adjourned to wait for the DPP’s directions on the matter. “I don’t have those directions to hand,” he said.
“An issue arose. There are a number of individuals allegedly involved in the incident, including a juvenile, which has led to a slight delay in the file.”
The sergeant said the “whole file has to travel together” to the DPP for consideration, “including the juvenile matter, because it all allegedly arises from the same incident. There may be more serious charges”.
JJ Fitzgerald, for Mr O’Reilly, said it had already been over two months since his previous appearance.
Sgt O’Carroll said he realised “it’s going on a long time at this stage” but the delay had arisen because of the juvenile case.
Judge Elizabeth MacGrath adjourned the case and remanded Mr O’Reilly on continuing bail until January 24.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved