The death of a drug addict who may have consumed ‘bogey crack’ is to be further investigated, an inquest has heard.
The family of Anthony Davies, 36, a resident of Maple House hostel on Dublin’s North Circular Road, queried whether a toxic batch of drugs may have caused his death.
“There was bogey crack going around at the time, loads of drug users died from it,” Jessica Davies, a sister of the deceased, told Dublin Coroner’s Court.
Mr Davies had used drugs for 20 years, according to his family, but an autopsy failed to find toxic levels of heroin or methadone in his system.
Pathologist Dr Christian Gulmann said no cause of death was established and a blood sample examined at the State laboratory also failed to identify a cause.
“The difficulty is that while we thought this was a drug related death, we have nothing to prove it,” coroner Brian Farrell said.
Mr Davies had been found in a sitting position in his room on January 13 last by a hostel staff member.
Drug paraphernalia including burnt tinfoil and needles were found in the room.
Staff member Peter Hederman said Mr Davies was in ‘good form’ when he spoke to him the previous day.
“He was looking forward to getting into a clinic to get help for his drug problem,” he said.
The inquest was adjourned to October 5.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved