A High Court action by the 1916 Relatives Association aimed at preventing the demolition of buildings on Moore St linked to the Rising has been adjourned for two weeks.
The State has agreed none of the buildings at issue will be demolished in the meantime, Mr Justice Seamus Noonan was told.
Colm Moore, a nominee of the 1916 Relatives Association, in his action has raised issues including whether some buildings on Moore St earmarked for demolition, including No 18, are national monuments. There is a real issue concerning whether No 18 pre-dates, rather than post-dates, the year 1916, he contends.
Mr Moore, of Sandyford Rd, Dundrum, has brought a legal challenge against the Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht in which he contends several buildings on Moore St, and Moore Lane are national monuments which must be preserved.
Some of the 1916 relatives, including James Connolly Heron, Eamon and David Ceannt, and Proinsias Ó Rathaille were in court when the case, initiated last month, was mentioned before Mr Justice Seamus Noonan who said it had “a certain urgency” and fixed it for hearing on February 2.
The legal challenge will be heard alongside separate proceedings by Mr Moore alleging signs fixed to a terrace of buildings on Moore St are unauthorised development and should be removed.
Conleth Bradley, counsel for Mr Moore, said his client had secured leave to bring proceedings in relation to matters concerning a national monument at 14-17 Moore St and which raised issues relating to determining what is a national monument. Mr Moore also got permission to serve short notice of his proceedings over the disputed signage.
Mr Moore also initiated an application for injunctions over works — including proposed demolition works — to buildings, mainly at 13-18 Moore St, but the minister last Friday gave a without prejudice undertaking, due to expire yesterday, not to proceed with those works, counsel said. On foot of an agreement for exchange of legal documents, the minister was agreeing to continue that undertaking.
The judge approved directions for exchange of legal documents and fixed the case for February 2. He was told, depending whether cross-examination of those making sworn statements was sought, it would take between one and four days.
Seamus Woulfe, for the minister, said the matters in the case related to the establishment of a commemorative centre for the 1916 Rising and there was a certain urgency about it given the Rising centenary commemorations.
His side had undertaken not to demolish any of the buildings at 13-19 Moore St and would continue that for another two weeks on a without prejudice basis so as to avoid the court having to deal with any injunction application, he added.
Separately last week, a number of activists began an occupation of No 18 Moore St, which is intended for demolition.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved