Ian Bailey’s lawyers have promised to provide details in the next 12 days of what losses he has allegedly suffered as a result of his arrest during the Garda investigation into the 1996 murder in West Cork of French filmmaker Sophie Toscan du Plantier.
Lawyers for the State complained in the High Court yesterday they had still not received, despite a number of requests, details of actual losses claimed by Mr Bailey for his damages action against the State. The case is due to be heard before a jury in November.
The court also heard legal disclosure to the Bailey side of transcripts of conversations between gardaí and callers to Bandon Garda Station in Cork, where the investigation team was based, is almost complete. As a result an application for discovery of documents against the DPP was struck out by Mr Justice John Hedigan.
Paul O’Higgins, counsel for the State, told the judge his side wrote to Mr Bailey’s lawyers three times last month seeking details of losses and damages allegedly suffered but received no reply.
There had also been no notice of trial served by the Bailey side since a previous notice was struck out and it was urgent that everything should be in place for the November hearing.
Martin Giblin, counsel for Mr Bailey and his partner Jules Thomas who is also suing over her arrest, said he would have particulars with the other side by July 14.
The quantification of damages for his clients’ loss of career and opportunity had also been linked to the material they had sought as part of the discovery application, he said.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved