A man at the centre of the country’s worst ever car crash has been warned that his bail conditions will be revoked if he continues to breach his conditions.
Eight people were killed when the car which Shaun Kelly, aged 24, was driving was involved in a crash in Co Donegal in July, 2010.
Mr Kelly is charged with dangerous driving causing the deaths of eight people including seven of his friends who were in his car, and a 66-year-old driver of another car.
He has been before the courts on several occasions.
Judge John O’Hagan recently said he was disappointed the case has not started and said the case must go ahead at the next sitting of the circuit court on April 1.
At Letterkenny Circuit Court yesterday, Judge Keenan Johnson warned Mr Kelly if he fails to sign on at his local garda station, he will revoke his bail.
Mr Kelly had been required to sign on at Buncrana Garda Station twice weekly, on Mondays and Fridays, between 10am and 6pm. However, the court heard Mr Kelly has failed to sign on at the station on several occasions.
Peter Nolan, defending, said Mr Kelly had signed in at the station on the days involved but outside the specified hours.
Sergeant Carol Doherty told Judge Keenan Johnson that Mr Kelly had breached these conditions on several occasions.
Mr Nolan said his client had to attend medical appointments in Dublin and often travelled with his father who worked driving a truck. He described the breaches as “technical”, adding: “There is no flight risk here whatsoever.”
Judge Johnson varied the bail conditions, ordering Mr Kelly to sign on at Buncrana Garda Station on Mondays and Fridays between 12pm and 9pm.
He told Mr Nolan to advise his client that the court would have “no hesitation” in revoking bail if there were any further breaches.
The case has been adjourned until April 1 with peremptory against the accused.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved