Baby boy choked on piece of apple

A 10-month-old baby died after he choked on a piece of apple at the family home, an inquest heard.

The baby was ‘happily chewing’ a small piece of apple his father had given to him on December 21, 2014. The baby was sitting on the floor of his parent’s bedroom when he choked.

The baby was described by his father as a ‘really good boy’ who was curious about everything.

“He liked to eat very much, he ate everything. He travelled a lot with us. He was a very happy boy. He was always under our eyes,” he told Dublin Coroner’s Court.

The boy was the couple’s third child. “He was sitting on the floor. I started eating an apple. After I started eating he always wanted something. I bit off a very small piece and gave it to him. He had three or four teeth. I watched as he started to bite. He was happy and relaxed, he liked the sweet apple,”the father said.

About ten minutes later, the boy’s mothersaid she ‘got a bad feeling’ when she entered the bedroom and ran to her son.

“He was sitting up but he couldn’t breathe. I tried to get the apple out by slapping but it wouldn’t (come out.) I tried mouth to mouth, it didn’t work,” she said.

The father grabbed the baby and ran outside. He jumped a fence into a nearby nursing home, where staff immediately began to resuscitate the baby. An ambulance was called and the baby arrived at Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital in Crumlin at 8.40pm. The baby was resuscitated and admitted to intensive care. An MRI scan showed he had suffered a devastating brain injury.

“My little boy was so quiet on the bed. He gave us a goodbye present, another week with him while he was alive, for us to be with him. Thank you for giving us this week,” the father said in his statement.

He was pronounced dead at 2.30pm on December 26.

The cause of death was hypoxic brain injury secondary to cardiac arrest preceded by a choking incident on December 21, 2014.

The baby had suffered two chest infections in the months before his death but these were not deemed to be a factor in his death.

Coroner Dr Brian Farrell returned a verdict of death by misadventure.

“It does seem that it (the piece of apple) did cause an episode of choking,” he said.


Lifestyle

I don't remember a lot of shouting in my household growing up, and neither does my twin.Mum's the Word: How did my parents manage to create a calm household?

The TripAdvisor Travellers’ Choice Awards have been revealed. These are the destinations that came out tops.3 emerging destinations to add to your travel wish list – according to TripAdvisor data

The recent death of Caroline Flack has once again brought the issue of internet trolls and cancel culture back into public discourse.Learning Points: The reality is we all play a role in cancel culture

Rita de Brún speaks with Sean McKeown, Fota Wildlife Park director and longtime Cork resident.‘You’ve got to make the changes you want to see’, says Fota Wildlife director

More From The Irish Examiner