A man accused of carrying out a serious assault on a housemate with an iron bar in Cork City was remanded in custody to the Central Mental Hospital for a fortnight yesterday.
Defence solicitor John Hussey said on behalf of the accused man, Olumatemilorun Jimoh: “It is a matter that cannot be allowed to drift, I would say.”
Mr Hussey submitted that rather than waiting for further directions of the Director of Public Prosecutions, the case should be sent forward to Cork Circuit Criminal Court to determine whether he was psychiatrically fit to plead guilty or not guilty.
“It is open to you to send him forward for trial on this issue,” Mr Hussey submitted to Judge Leo Malone yesterday.
Inspector Adrian Gamble said the DPP had yet to give directions, and he also said the prosecution was not on notice of Mr Hussey’s application yesterday.
Mr Hussey said there was no psychiatric assessment report on the accused available to the court.
Judge Malone said that his direction when the case came before him earlier this year was that the accused would be given psychiatric attention, but he did not direct the preparation of a report.
Judge Malone remanded the accused in custody to the Central Mental Hospital until April 20, when the case will be back before Cork District Court.
The case arose out of an alleged incident on Blarney St, Cork, where a 25-year-old Croatian national was left in a critical condition with head injuries.
Mr Jimoh is accused of assault causing serious harm to Denis Mandic, at 334 Blarney St, Cork, on January 28.
He is also accused of having what was described as an 8.5-inch bolting pin to cause injury to another person, Sindile Alex Iroaku.
During his initial bail application, it was put to the accused that he had been carrying a list of people he would assault.
The defendant replied: “It is a crazy moment list of people that I would take out of existence.”
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved