The first pedestrians have walked, cycled and sat on Cork’s newest bridge.
The Mary Elmes Bridge opened to the public today. It is expected to be used by up to 11,000 people each day.
It is named after aid worker Mary Elmes, who was born in Ballintemple, Cork, in 1908.
She helped hundreds of Jewish children escape the threat of concentration camps.
Rob from Cafe Velo and Erin from Cork City Council were the first to cycle over the bridge which joins Merchants Quay and St Patrick’s Quay earlier today.
The 165-tonne bridge was transported by barge from the Cobh shipping yard and assembled at its city centre location on May 18.
It took two 500 and 750-tonne cranes to lift the bridge in place.
An official opening will be arranged for a date in September.