Germany mulls ‘right to be forgotten’ EU ruling

The German government is considering setting up arbitration courts to weigh in on what information people can force Google and other search-engine providers to remove from results.

Following an EU court ruling on May 13 granting consumers the “right to be forgotten,” the Interior Ministry in Berlin would seek to establish “dispute- settlement mechanisms” for consumers who file so- called take-down requests.

If search providers introduce automatic deletion, public information would be at risk, the ministry said.

“Politicians, prominent figures, and other persons who are reported about in public would be able to hide or even delete reports they find unpleasant,” it said in a statement.

The ministry suggested that the removal of information should not be left to company algorithms.

The EU Court of Justice decision earlier this month gave people the right to request the deletion of personal information, creating the possibility of European users flooding internet companies with take-down requests, with a cost in time and money to comply.

Companies such as Google will have to review such requests on a case-by-case basis, the court said.

Search-engine companies must take an initial decision on each request and people could then turn to courts or a data- protection authority to challenge the decision, the EU court ruling said.

Google, which has received several thousand demands to remove entries from search results since the court verdict, does not plan to automate the handling of take-down requests and will present its approach in coming weeks, Klaas Flechsig, a Hamburg-based spokes- man for the company, said by phone.

Decisions on whether to remove links will have to balance issues, including how sensitive the information is and the public interest in it, EU data regulators, known as the Article 29 Data Protection Working Party, said this month.

The German ministry does not currently plan to create a single mediating authority or to put mediators under state supervision, it said.

Talks with Google and other providers will begin once the government has finalised its position.

More in this Section

UK opts to be trapped in ‘Brexit is Brexit’ bubble

Battle lines drawn in the Brexit trade talks

Tariff backlash a big worry for Irish businesses

Imbalance in economy still a concern

Breaking Stories

Dow Jones down almost 3% amid fears of new trade war

Landmark Media deal delayed but on track

Global stocks slump as Trump protectionist threats spark jitters over trade war

70% of Irish people say Christmas bonuses helped with spending over festive season - survey


New father’s life ‘changed forever’ after he was run over by surgeon

The biggest cancer killer will take your breath away

Hopefully she had an idea...

Power of the press: Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks discuss 'The Post'

More From The Irish Examiner