FORMER Anglo Irish Bank boss David Drumm’s decision to file for bankruptcy in the US is expected to be challenged by the bank this week as the banker says he is haunted by what happened at Anglo.
Last week it was revealed Mr Drumm had filed for bankruptcy in the US. However, it is expected Anglo Irish Bank will challenge the validity of this move in the High Court this week. Mr Drumm said in an interview with the Sunday Independent his life has been turned upside down by what had happened to Anglo and Ireland.
“I’m a bankrupt. I could never have imagined that would happen to me. I’ve got young children. It’s about getting through today and tomorrow. I have to figure out now how to look after my family. That’s my job. It’s impossible to think of the future without just thinking of surviving, to be honest with you,” he said.
Mr Drumm also said he decided to move to America as he had worked for Anglo Irish Bank in the US for six years, was well known there, and had a “family life” there.
He said he took full responsibility for his time at the bank.
“I obviously can’t accept responsibility for how the bank has been managed since, and I’ll say no more on that. The issue I have is that the whole worldwide banking system collapsed in 2008, and it wasn’t just one bank. A lot of people share responsibility, but Anglo has taken the brunt of it,” he told the paper.
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved