UN to resume aid convoys in Syria after deadly attack

UN to resume aid convoys in Syria after deadly attack
Syria's permanent representative to the United Nations, Bashar Ja'afari, listens as United States President Barack Obama speaks during the 71st session of the United Nations General Assembly.

The United Nations has said it will resume aid convoys within Syria after an attack on a convoy killed 20 people and prompted a temporary suspension.

Jens Laerke, spokesman for the UN humanitarian aid agency, said "several" convoys are expected as early as Thursday, but did not specify where. He said the convoys would not go to Aleppo.

Monday night's attack in Aleppo province on a Red Crescent warehouse where UN aid was delivered killed 20 people and destroyed most of the goods.

In response, the UN suspended overland aid operations to priority areas in Syria pending a full security assessment.

Mr Laerke acknowledged that a full assessment had not been completed, but said the planned deliveries would take place now on a case-by-case basis.

Meanwhile, an air strike in northern Syria killed five medics responding to an earlier bombing raid, a relief group said.

The team had just arrived at the scene of the first air strike in the rebel-held town of Khan Touman when planes circled around and struck the area again, D Oubaida Al Moufti, vice president of the International Union of Medical Care and Relief Organisations, said.

Syrian government forces have been accused of carrying out "double tap" attacks throughout the five-and-a-half-year war, placing paramedics and rescue workers in peril.

UN to resume aid convoys in Syria after deadly attack

The organisation, known by its French initials UOSSM, had initially said that the Tuesday night strike levelled a medical triage point it operates in rebel-held territory outside Aleppo.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said at least 13 people were killed in the attack, including nine militants, some of them belonging to the Fatah al-Sham Front, an al Qaida-linked group previously known as the Nusra Front.

Three nurses and two ambulance drivers died of their injuries, UOSSM said.

It was not immediately clear who carried out the strike. Aircraft from Syria, Russia and the US-led coalition are targeting the Fatah al-Sham Front, which along with the Islamic State group was excluded from a week-long ceasefire.

UN to resume aid convoys in Syria after deadly attack

More on this topic

Russia and Turkey strike deal to take control of part of Syrian borderRussia and Turkey strike deal to take control of part of Syrian border

Syrian leader condemns ‘thief’ Erdogan during visit to retaken areaSyrian leader condemns ‘thief’ Erdogan during visit to retaken area

US troops leaving Syria ‘cannot stay in Iraq’US troops leaving Syria ‘cannot stay in Iraq’

Turkey warns Kurdish forces to withdraw before ceasefire endsTurkey warns Kurdish forces to withdraw before ceasefire ends

More in this Section

Trump likens impeachment inquiry to ‘a lynching’Trump likens impeachment inquiry to ‘a lynching’

Jimmy Carter in hospital after fall at homeJimmy Carter in hospital after fall at home

Norwegian police open fire on man who ‘drove ambulance into crowd’, including baby in a pushchairNorwegian police open fire on man who ‘drove ambulance into crowd’, including baby in a pushchair

Manchester Arena bomber’s brother pleads not guilty to murder chargesManchester Arena bomber’s brother pleads not guilty to murder charges


Lifestyle

Put provenance first this season and make 'Made in Munster' the label to be seen in. With outstanding craftmanship and commitment to quality, these homegrown designers are making Munster-made fashion wish list worthy around the world. Shopping local has never looked so good. Carolyn Moore reports.Made in Munster: Shopping local has never looked this good.

Karen Cunneen-Bilbow Owner, Fabricate IrelandMade in Munster: ‘I turned my hobby into a business’

An invitation is extended to all to pay a visit to Bride View Cottage, writes Charlie WilkinsSeasonal cheer will spread early in Co Cork as an invitation is extended to all to visit Bride View Cottage

After a week of Fortnite Chapter 2, we think it’s fair to say Epic lived up to their name with the game’s ‘re-launch’.GameTech: Happy after a week of Fortnite Chapter 2

More From The Irish Examiner