A British schoolgirl’s plan to travel to Syria to join Islamic State has been disrupted by police following an undercover newspaper investigation.
Scotland Yard said it had taken steps to ensure the safety of the “vulnerable young girl” after the force was handed information by the Daily Mail.
The newspaper said counter-terrorism officers swooped on the 16-year-old’s family home in east London yesterday after she planned to run away to Syria next week.
Her trip had been planned by her older sister, a known Islamic State recruiter who ran away to become a jihadi bride last year, the Mail said.
Home Secretary Theresa May said the case showed the “seriousness of the threat we face from Isil”.
Metropolitan Police Commander Richard Walton, from the force’s counter-terrorism command, said: “Following an undercover investigation by the Daily Mail, we were made aware of a vulnerable young girl on Monday.
“Upon receiving the information officers acted promptly and were able to identify the girl concerned and preventative steps have now been taken to do all we can to safeguard her.
“We are working closely with her family and the local authority to ensure she is supported and kept safe from harm.”