Two more people arrested in Nice lorry attack probe as promenade reopens

Two more people arrested in Nice lorry attack probe as promenade reopens

Detectives investigating the Bastille Day lorry attack have arrested two further people, as tourists return to the French promenade where scores of people were mown down.

Police said a man and a woman were detained in Nice on Sunday morning, bringing the total number in custody to seven.

The Promenade des Anglais - the scene of the massacre - reopened around 36 hours after Thursday's attack which saw at least 84 people killed and more than 200 injured after a lorry was driven through throngs of revellers celebrating their national day.

Holidaymakers walked along the waterside stretch on Saturday, which is lined with hotels and restaurants, while police officers kept watch.

Two more people arrested in Nice lorry attack probe as promenade reopens

Flowers, cards and messages of solidarity marked the spots where bodies had been left strewn on the road in the aftermath of the massacre.

Candles burned late into the night as crowds gathered once again in memory of those killed and injured.

The Islamic State group has claimed lorry driver Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel was "a soldier" acting on its behalf by committing the murders.

The IS claim of responsibility came after the French authorities said Bouhlel had no known links with terrorists, unlike those behind previous attacks in Paris.

And a former neighbour said the 31-year-old had never spoken about extremism.

Bouhlel drove a 19-tonne hired lorry at speed into masses of people before he was shot dead by police.

Speaking outside the high-rise block of flats on Boulevard Henri Sappia, where the suspect had previously lived with his family, Samiq, 19, who did not want to give his surname, said: "I never heard him speak about extremism, I cannot believe that he was a member of Islamic State."

He said people thought Bouhlel had psychological problems.

"He was a little bit crazy," he said, but he added that he was shocked by what had happened.

The apartment on Route de Turin where Bouhlel was believed to be living before the attack was raided by police, and a view through the keyhole showed items including what appeared to be boxes of medication and a strip of tablets.

The driver's father has said that Bouhlel had received psychiatric treatment in the past.

A neighbour and her young daughter said he lived a reclusive life, failing to respond when they said hello.

Two more people arrested in Nice lorry attack probe as promenade reopens

Interior minister Bernard Cazeneuve, who announced 12,000 extra police reserves are being called up alongside the 120,000 police and soldiers already in place across the country, said Bouhlel appeared to have been radicalised only recently.

According to reports, his ex-wife was also being questioned.

The woman, who was estranged from him and had been subject to his domestic violence, was taken into custody for her own protection, French media reported.

Many people are still awaiting news of their loved ones either injured in hospital or missing since the attack.

One man lost six members of his family, French media reported.

An eyewitness said she saw people hanging on to the lorry in a desperate bid to stop the killing spree.

Tita Siren, from Finland, was on holiday in the city and witnessed events from a hotel terrace.

She said: "I recognised that one or two men were trying to open the door of the driver. They were hanging on the door so trying to save other people's lives."

She added: "The whole width of the truck was full of people in front of it and it just drove over the people and they fell, like the driver was bowling."

As the names of victims emerged, questions were asked about the security measures that had been in place during the celebrations.

Regional president Christian Estrosi said a request he had made before the parade for more police officers had been rejected.

He was reported to have said: "There were only 45 national police officers on July 14. It was not enough. I can't hide that I am angry."

But government officials were reported to have claimed that there were 64 national and 42 municipal officers on duty as well as 20 soldiers.

More on this topic

Pope Francis meets families of Nice lorry attackPope Francis meets families of Nice lorry attack

Death toll from Nice lorry attack rises after man dies in hospitalDeath toll from Nice lorry attack rises after man dies in hospital

Airline warns of drop in travel to France after attacksAirline warns of drop in travel to France after attacks

Two more suspects arrested in connection with Nice attackTwo more suspects arrested in connection with Nice attack


More in this Section

Minneapolis overwhelmed again by protests over George Floyd deathMinneapolis overwhelmed again by protests over George Floyd death

US National Guard summoned to aid cities amid custody death protestsUS National Guard summoned to aid cities amid custody death protests

EU urges Trump to rethink American funding cut for WHOEU urges Trump to rethink American funding cut for WHO

British government advisers warn lockdown lifting too early as crowds flock to beachesBritish government advisers warn lockdown lifting too early as crowds flock to beaches


Lifestyle

A Spectacular 28.86-carat ring, the largest D-colour diamond ever offered online, will come up at Christie's Jewels in New York from June 16-30.High value diamond adds serious sparkle to online sale

A whiff of new normality is in the air, writes Des O'SullivanAntiques: How to put a post-lockdown world in the frame

Buy everything on Michelle Darmody’s list and create five meals.One List, Five Meals: Irish stew with a twist; Yellow Pepper Omelette

‘There are two of us, in it together’From Chestnut to Sage - how family food businesses, real labours of love, are coping with Covid

More From The Irish Examiner