Toulouse shootings video 'will not be broadcast'

Toulouse shootings video 'will not be broadcast'

A video showing the deadly attacks on soldiers and a Jewish school in France and sent to Arabic TV network Al-Jazeera will not be broadcast, the company said today.

Its response came after French president Nicolas Sarkozy, other officials and family of the victims had asked for it not to be shown.

The television station received the footage on a USB memory stick sent with a letter to their Paris office.

It appeared to have been taken during the shootings by 23-year-old Frenchman Mohamed Merah who was killed last week after a more than 30-hour stand-off with police at his apartment building.

Merah filmed all of his murders, which began on March 11 with the shooting of a French soldier.

Before the rampage ended, two more soldiers, three Jewish children and a rabbi were killed.

Zied Tarrouche, Al-Jazeera’s Paris bureau chief, said the letter, written in poor French with spelling and grammar errors, claimed the shootings were carried out in the name of al Qaida.

Mr Tarrouche said the images appear to have been taken from the point of view of the killer, perhaps from a camera hung around his neck. He said they were a bit shaky but of a high technical quality.

The video had clearly been edited with religious songs and recitations of Koranic verses laid over the footage, he said.

“You can hear gunshots at the moment of the killings. You can hear the voice of this person who has committed these assassinations. You can hear also the cries of the victims, and the voices were distorted,” he said.

Earlier Mr Sarkozy had asked that the images not be broadcast.

“I ask the managers of all television stations that might have these images not to broadcast them in any circumstances, out of respect for the victims – out of respect for the Republic,” he said.

There was no indication that other stations have the images.

Mr Tarrouche said: “We are not a sensationalist channel. We’re not looking to broadcast images without weighing the risks and the consequences. That’s why the management will decide today after meeting at headquarters in Qatar.”.

The decision not to broadcast the images came a few hours later.

More on this topic

10 held in French terrorism raids

French arrest Islamist suspectsFrench arrest Islamist suspects

Toulouse gunman 'to be buried in France'Toulouse gunman 'to be buried in France'

School killer 'was a lone wolf'School killer 'was a lone wolf'

More in this Section

Corbyn demands immediate publication of UK Government’s no-deal dossierCorbyn demands immediate publication of UK Government’s no-deal dossier

Pentagon conducts first test of previously banned missilePentagon conducts first test of previously banned missile

Twitter shuts Chinese accounts targeting Hong Kong protestsTwitter shuts Chinese accounts targeting Hong Kong protests

US lawmakers 'could block trade deal' if Good Friday Agreement is underminedUS lawmakers 'could block trade deal' if Good Friday Agreement is undermined


Lifestyle

From Turkey to Vietnam, here’s where the chef and food writer has fallen in love with on her travellers.Sabrina Ghayour’s top 5 cities for foodies to visit

Dr Dympna Kavanagh, chief dental officer, Department of Health (University College Cork graduate)Working Life: Dr Dympna Kavanagh, chief dental officer, Department of Health

Like most Irish kids of our generation, chillies, spicy food, heat were never really big aspects of our formative eating experiences.Currabinny Cooks: Getting spicy in the kitchen

New Yorker Jessica Bonenfant Coogan has noticed a curious discrepancy between east and west when it comes to Cork county; arts infrastructure has tended to be better resourced in the west of Ireland’s largest county.Making an artistic mark in East Cork

More From The Irish Examiner