Top prosecutor meets Libyan PM

Top prosecutor meets Libyan PM

Scotland’s top prosecutor has met the interim Libyan Prime Minister to discuss the continuing investigation into the Lockerbie bombing.

Lord Advocate Frank Mulholland attended a meeting with Abdurrahim El-Keib in London today along with the Chief Constable of Dumfries and Galloway Constabulary Patrick Shearer.

The meeting comes four days after Abdelbaset Ali al-Megrahi, the only person convicted of the Lockerbie bombing, died in Libya.

The new Libyan government has previously said that it will co-operate with the investigation.

Mr Mulholland and Robert Mueller, director of the FBI, met Mr el-Keib in Tripoli in April to discuss the inquiry into the bombing.

Speaking after today’s meeting, a Crown Office spokesman said: “The interim Libyan Prime Minister met the Lord Advocate and the Chief Constable of Dumfries and Galloway Constabulary today in London to discuss and reaffirm the commitment he gave to the Lord Advocate and the director of FBI in April that the new Libyan Government would co-operate with Scottish and US law enforcement in the investigation of others with Megrahi in the Lockerbie bombing.

“The Prime Minister asked for clarification on a number of issues relating to the conduct of the proposed investigation in Libya and the Lord Advocate has undertaken to provide this.

“The Prime Minister made it clear that he recognised the seriousness of this crime and following the clarification he would take this forward as a priority.

“As the investigation remains live, and in order to preserve the integrity of that investigation, it would not be appropriate to offer further comment.”

Former Libyan intelligence officer Megrahi was sentenced to life in prison for the 1988 bombing of a US airliner over the Dumfries and Galloway town which claimed 270 lives.

He was later diagnosed with terminal prostate cancer and controversially released from prison in August 2009, with an estimated three months to live, on compassionate grounds.

But Megrahi, who always proclaimed his innocence, proved medical experts wrong and finally lost his cancer battle in Tripoli on Sunday at the age of 60, his son said.


More in this Section

India and China look to ease tensions in disputed Himalayan regionIndia and China look to ease tensions in disputed Himalayan region

Harder to learn about science with modern technology – Astronomer RoyalHarder to learn about science with modern technology – Astronomer Royal

US officers suspended as man, 75, cracks head after being pushed overUS officers suspended as man, 75, cracks head after being pushed over

Brexit trade talks remain deadlocked as Barnier accuses UK of backtrackingBrexit trade talks remain deadlocked as Barnier accuses UK of backtracking


Lifestyle

Eve Kelliher consults a Munster designer to find out what our future residences, offices and businesses will look likeHow pandemic life is transforming homes and workplaces

Nidge and co return for a repeat of a series that gripped the nation over its five seasons.Friday's TV Highlights: Love/Hate returns while Springwatch looks at rewilding

A family expert at the charity Action for Children advises how parents can maintain contact with kids after separation if there’s an access problem.My ex won’t let me see my child because I haven’t paid maintenance during lockdown. What can I do?

THREE years ago, when radio presenter Daniella Moyles announced that she was quitting, few could have guessed from her upbeat Instagram post the inner turmoil she’d been enduring.Daniella Moyles on how she beat anxiety

More From The Irish Examiner