Three suspects, including teenage girl, charged with terrorism offences in France

Three suspects in a thwarted attack last week in the southern French city of Montpellier have been handed preliminary terrorism charges, Paris prosecutors said.

Authorities gave only the suspects' first names. A teenage girl, Sara, and a man called Thomas were charged with terrorist association and possessing explosives last night.

Another man, Malik, was also charged with justifying terrorism.

Last week, anti-terrorism forces uncovered a makeshift laboratory for fabricating a bomb.

France's top security official on Friday said the raid thwarted an "imminent attack".

A police official said the teenage girl - among several arrested - had pledged loyalty to the so-called 'Islamic State' group in a recent video.

France is still under a state of emergency after several deadly attacks in 2015 and 2016.

More in this Section

Utrecht shooting suspect has confessed, say prosecutors

Brexit: the past seven days

Astronauts take spacewalk to swap space station’s batteries

Link with China must be two-way street, says Italian president


Lifestyle

Has KRIB sounded the death knell for the immersion?

Bake: Delicious recipes with chocolate - the ultimate dessert ingredient

Trend of the week: How to simmer in a boiler suit

Ask an expert: Is my IVF child more likely to have behaviour problems?

More From The Irish Examiner