Three men charged with planning mass killing in Melbourne

Three men charged with planning mass killing in Melbourne
Police stand guard outside a raided property connected to a foiled terror attack. Pic: ABC via AP

Three men allegedly inspired by the Islamic State group have been charged with planning a mass-casualty attack in Melbourne, Australia, police said.

The Australian citizens of Turkish descent were arrested in their Melbourne homes, Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton said.

All had had their passports cancelled this year because of security concerns.

Mr Ashton said the trio communicated with encrypted messages, which made it difficult for police to determine when and where the alleged attack was to take place.

"Whilst a specific location was not finalised, there was a view toward a crowded place," Mr Ashton told reporters.

Victoria Police Assistant Commissioner Ross Guenther alleged the men were trying to acquire 0.22 calibre semi-automatic rifles.

Semi-automatic rifles are virtually banned from public ownership under Australia's tough gun laws.

Victoria premier Daniel Andrews thanked state and federal police as well as security agencies for putting themselves at risk to keep the public safe.

"The seriousness of this potential incident should not be underestimated," Mr Andrews said.

The men - aged 21, 26 and 30 - will appear in a Melbourne court later on Tuesday, charged with acting in preparation of a terrorist event. They each could face a life prison sentence if convicted.

There is no link between the latest alleged plot and other attacks and plots in Melbourne.

Police have described a fatal stabbing in the city's central business district on November 9 as an Islamic State-inspired terrorist attack.

The attacker was shot dead by police after he killed a 74-year-old man and injured two other people, and he had planned to set off an explosion in his burning pick-up vehicle loaded with gas canisters.

The Somalia-born Australian had had his passport cancelled in 2015.

The man who died, well-known coffee shop owner Sisto Malaspina, was given a state funeral on Tuesday.

Australian Federal Police Assistant Commissioner Ian McCartney said 90 people had been charged in 40 counterterrorism investigations since Australia's terrorism threat level was elevated in September 2014.

Four men also have been convicted of planning a terror attack in downtown Melbourne around Christmas in 2016.

Ibrahim Abbas was sentenced last month to 24 years in prison after pleading guilty to conspiring in preparation of a terrorist attack involving explosives and knives at Federation Square, a popular downtown restaurant and entertainment precinct.

Abbas had been a prosecution witness against his brother Hamza Abbas and co-conspirators Ahmed Mohamed and Abdullah Chaarani. They were convicted of terrorism-related offences three weeks ago, but they have yet to be sentenced.

PA

More on this topic

Ramesh Thakur: The Australian bushfires rage, but the anger is misplacedRamesh Thakur: The Australian bushfires rage, but the anger is misplaced

Well-meaning knitters told to stop sending koala mittens to AustraliaWell-meaning knitters told to stop sending koala mittens to Australia

Coastal residents urged to flee as Australian fire risk escalatesCoastal residents urged to flee as Australian fire risk escalates

24 deaths confirmed as Australian PM defends record; Warnings wildfire crisis could continue for months24 deaths confirmed as Australian PM defends record; Warnings wildfire crisis could continue for months

More in this Section

UN calls for probe into alleged Saudi hacking of Amazon boss Jeff Bezos’s phoneUN calls for probe into alleged Saudi hacking of Amazon boss Jeff Bezos’s phone

Harvey Weinstein ‘rape’ trial to hear opening statementsHarvey Weinstein ‘rape’ trial to hear opening statements

Greece’s politicians break the mould by choosing first female presidentGreece’s politicians break the mould by choosing first female president

Scientists develop blood test that can ‘predict final menstrual period’Scientists develop blood test that can ‘predict final menstrual period’


Lifestyle

Dr Sarah Miller is the CEO of Dublin’s Rediscovery Centre, the national centre for the Circular Economy in Ireland. She has a degree in Biotechnology and a PHD in Environmental Science in Waste Conversion Technologies.‘We have to give people positive messages’

When I was pregnant with Joan, I knew she was a girl. We didn’t find out the gender of the baby, but I just knew. Or else, I so badly wanted a girl, I convinced myself that is exactly what we were having.Mum's the Word: I have a confession: I never wanted sons. I wanted daughters

What is it about the teenage years that are so problematic for families? Why does the teenage soul rage against the machine of the adult world?Learning Points: It’s not about the phone, it’s about you and your teen

Judy Collins is 80, and still touring. As she gets ready to return to Ireland, she tells Ellie O’Byrne about the songs that have mattered most in her incredible 60-year career.The songs that matter most to Judy Collins from her 60-year career

More From The Irish Examiner