Syria's truce not dead, say US and Russia

Syria's truce not dead, say US and Russia
US Secretary of State John Kerry, centre, sits with United Nations envoy to Syria, Staffan de Mistura, right, and Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov during the International Syria Support Group meeting in New York today. Picture: AP

The United States, Russia and more than a dozen other countries have declared that Syria's ceasefire is not dead despite increasing violence on the ground.

With few alternatives for trying to end its civil war, diplomats pressed on with a strategy that appeared to be impressing few and convincing no one.

"It's the only show in town," Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said bluntly of the talks that are now set to continue later this week.

Tuesday's gathering, led by Secretary of State John Kerry and Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, aimed to hold on to what might be salvageable from Syria's week-old truce on a day the pair once envisioned as the start of a new military partnership against the Islamic State group and al-Qaida.

While Arab, European and other officials waited, Mr Kerry and Mr Lavrov met in a New York hotel to iron out some of their many differences, including a mistaken weekend air raid by the American-led coalition on Syrian soldiers and a deadly attack on an aid convoy that the US blamed on Russia and Syria, despite denials from Moscow and Damascus.

When the diplomats emerged from their meeting about an hour later, no one spoke of a breakthrough.

"The ceasefire is not dead," Mr Kerry insisted. "We are going to continue to work. We are going to meet again Friday on some specific steps."

Rhetorically, at least, the diplomats expressed some hope. That was an improvement from Monday, when Syria's Russian-backed government declared the ceasefire over.

But it also reflected Washington's desperation. Despite numerous violations by the government and Syrian rebels, the US has few other options for ending the five-year-old conflict that has killed a half-million people, contributed to Europe's worst refugee crisis since the Second World War and allowed the Islamic State group to emerge as a global threat.

President Barack Obama has made clear the US will use military force only against IS and other extremist organisations, and not against Syrian president Bashar Assad's government.

Mr Kerry and Mr Lavrov have spent months trying to forge a diplomatic path. Their deal earlier this month would have created a new, joint US-Russian centre to coordinate strikes on the Islamic State militants and al Qaida-linked groups had the truce and unfettered aid deliveries in Syria been protected for seven straight days. Neither commitment was met.

The International Syria Support Group the two convened includes countries with widely divergent interests, such as Iran - a Syrian ally - and Saudi Arabia, a provider of arms and cash to rebels. For the same reason, the assembly of nations has been unable to define any clear approach toward a Syrian future without Assad. Most of its pronouncements have been vague. Tuesday's meeting was not followed by any immediate statement.

UN peace envoy Staffan de Mistura said all participants reconfirmed support for the truce, even if Mr Assad's military and the rebels were not always respecting it. "The cease-fire is in danger, is being seriously affected," he said, but only the US and Russia could declare it over.

Mr De Mistura also said he was "profoundly outraged" by Monday's attack on an aid convoy that killed some 20 civilians, describing it as a "game changer" in forcing a serious discussion on how to stop the violence. Both Russia and Syria have denied involvement in the strike. The United Nations has suspended all aid deliveries pending a security review.

On Monday, the US was even stronger in its criticism. State Department spokesman John Kirby said after the convoy attack that the US "will reassess the future prospects for cooperation with Russia".

But in a sign of the increasing messiness of Syria's overlapping wars, Washington was still on the defensive itself on Tuesday.

The coalition's weekend attack killed 62 Syrian soldiers. Russia and Syria have called it proof of US support for extremist groups. The American military said it may have unintentionally hit the group while carrying out operations against IS; the strike was halted when Russia informed the US of the apparent mistake.

"The atmosphere was quite heavy," French Foreign Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault said of Tuesday's meeting in the Palace Hotel.

Mr Ayrault, who has criticised Washington for not releasing the ceasefire agreement, said the US-Russian negotiations "have reached their limits".

"What have we seen these last few hours?" he asked. "Bombing is continuing. Aleppo is still threatened. The population is starving. And there is a humanitarian convoy that is attacked and there are dead. This is the reality. One must denounce this reality."

More on this topic

Turkey bids to resettle two million Syrian refugees in border ‘safe zone’Turkey bids to resettle two million Syrian refugees in border ‘safe zone’

Trump hits back at critics over SyriaTrump hits back at critics over Syria

Syrian family lauds community’s response to tragedySyrian family lauds community’s response to tragedy

Syrian Kurds accuse Turkey of violating US-brokered ceasefireSyrian Kurds accuse Turkey of violating US-brokered ceasefire

More in this Section

What could happen next in the Brexit saga?What could happen next in the Brexit saga?

Defiant Boris Johnson says he will not seek new Brexit delay after Commons lossDefiant Boris Johnson says he will not seek new Brexit delay after Commons loss

Barcelona mayor appeals for calm after violent protestsBarcelona mayor appeals for calm after violent protests

Millions of people make journey to Iraqi city for pilgrimage of ArbaeenMillions of people make journey to Iraqi city for pilgrimage of Arbaeen


Lifestyle

These are the nail hues to choose this season, says Katie Wright.Perfectly polished: 5 autumn/winter nail trends you’ll actually want to wear

This early 19th-century table is one of a number of Irish lots at Sotheby’s Style, Furniture and Ceramics sale in New York on Thursday (October 24).Irish lots poised to add bite to Big Apple sale

Something for all at Hegarty’s auction in Bandon, says Des O’SullivanSomething for all at Hegarty’s auction in Bandon

Des O’Sullivan gives a preview of the Irish selection on offer at two sales in DublinPreview of the Irish selection on offer at two sales in Dublin

More From The Irish Examiner