South Korea offers talks on tensions and family reunions with North

South Korea has offered to talk with North Korea to ease animosities along their tense border and resume reunions of families separated by their war in the 1950s.

It is unclear if North Korea would agree to the proposed talks as it remains suspicious of the South Korean president's overtures, seeing the new leader's more liberal policy as still resorting to the United States to force North Korea to disarm.

Seoul's proposal for two sets of talks indicates President Moon Jae-in is pushing to improve ties with Pyongyang despite the North's first intercontinental ballistic missile this month.

Vice defence minister Suh Choo Suk said the South's defence officials are proposing talks at the border village of Panmunjom on Friday to discuss how to end hostile activities along the border.

Seoul's acting Red Cross chief Kim Sun Hyang said it wants separate talks at the border village on August 1 to discuss family reunions.

North Korea's state media has not immediately responded to South Korea's overtures.

Earlier this month, Mr Moon reiterated he is willing to meet North Korean leader Kim Jong Un if conditions are met.

Mr Moon also said the two Koreas must halt hostile activities along the border, restart family reunions and cooperate on the 2018 Winter Olympics to be held in Pyeongchang, South Korea.

President Moon Jae-in

Mr Moon has said he would use both dialogues and pressures to resolve the standoff over North Korea's nuclear programme.

But his push has reported little progress with the North test-firing a series of newly developed missiles since Mr Moon's May 10 inauguration.

The North's ICBM (intercontinental ballistic missile) launch has stoked security worries as it showed the country could eventually perfect a reliable nuclear missile capable of reaching anywhere in the United States. Analysts say the ICBM that was tested could reach Alaska.

After the launch, Mr Kim said he would never negotiate his weapons programmes unless the United States abandons its hostile policy toward his country.

Mr Kim's statement suggested he will order more missile and nuclear tests until North Korea develops a functioning ICBM that can place the entire US within its striking distance.

Related Articles

Kim Jong Nam murder suspect 'thought face-smearing was prank for show'

US and South Korea to stage low-key military drills ahead of summits with North

Kim Jong Nam murder accused recruited two months before his death, court hears

What critics of Korea summit get wrong

More in this Section

Turkey condemns UN Commissioner over human rights report

Red arrows jet crashes after incident at RAF Valley

What is Cambridge Analytica? The company linked to Trump and Brexit explained

Russian spy agency can demand access to Telegram app's user data, court rules


New father’s life ‘changed forever’ after he was run over by surgeon

The biggest cancer killer will take your breath away

Hopefully she had an idea...

Power of the press: Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks discuss 'The Post'

More From The Irish Examiner