School staff 'failed' boy who died after allergic reaction

School staff 'failed' boy who died after allergic reaction

The parents of a teenager who died after suffering an allergic reaction to his school dinner have accused staff of failing their duty of care.

Nasar Ahmed was in an exclusion room with other pupils at Bow School in east London when he became unwell on November 10 last year.

His inquest heard that the 14-year-old, who had a history of severe asthma and food allergies, suffered a reaction to milk in his tandoori chicken lunch and went into anaphylactic shock.

But staff at the school failed to administer his EpiPen, which may have saved his life, the court was told. He died four days later in the Royal London Hospital.

Coroner Mary Hassell on Friday returned a narrative conclusion, saying: "The staff saw Nasar's EpiPen and considered using it, but did not.

"If the EpiPen had been used promptly and Nasar had been administered adrenaline, there is a possibility but not a probability that this would have changed the outcome."

School staff 'failed' boy who died after allergic reaction

Speaking outside the hearing at Poplar Coroner's Court, Nasar's mother Ferdousi Zaman told reporters: "If he has anaphylaxis I give him his EpiPen. They are first-aiders, they are more knowledgeable than me.

"They have failed their duty of care."

More in this Section

Defiant Boris Johnson says he will not seek new Brexit delay after Commons lossDefiant Boris Johnson says he will not seek new Brexit delay after Commons loss

Barcelona mayor appeals for calm after violent protestsBarcelona mayor appeals for calm after violent protests

Millions of people make journey to Iraqi city for pilgrimage of ArbaeenMillions of people make journey to Iraqi city for pilgrimage of Arbaeen

Subway services in Chile’s capital suspended as protest growsSubway services in Chile’s capital suspended as protest grows


Lifestyle

These are the nail hues to choose this season, says Katie Wright.Perfectly polished: 5 autumn/winter nail trends you’ll actually want to wear

This early 19th-century table is one of a number of Irish lots at Sotheby’s Style, Furniture and Ceramics sale in New York on Thursday (October 24).Irish lots poised to add bite to Big Apple sale

Something for all at Hegarty’s auction in Bandon, says Des O’SullivanSomething for all at Hegarty’s auction in Bandon

Des O’Sullivan gives a preview of the Irish selection on offer at two sales in DublinPreview of the Irish selection on offer at two sales in Dublin

More From The Irish Examiner