A bomb threat led to the evacuation of Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut.
Monroe police Lt Brian McCauley said the threat was called in to the school at 9.30am local time and the evacuation was ordered as a precaution.
He said the school building and grounds were checked and no evidence of danger was found.
Nancy Bartosik, of the Monroe superintendent’s office, said the school was dismissed early and students moved to a nearby school to be picked up by their parents.
A gunman killed 20 pupils and six school staff at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown in December 2012. The students resumed classes in a school in the neighbouring town of Monroe, also called Sandy Hook Elementary School. The original school building was torn down last year.
Sandy Hook Elementary School in Monroe was evacuated Wednesday morning due to a bomb threat, police said. http://t.co/Qrb6ICCo3q— Hartford Courant (@hartfordcourant) October 1, 2014