Pope vows ’firmest possible’ crackdown on clerical abuse

(Updated) Pope Francis has promised the "firmest measures possible" against priests who rape and molest children and said he will hold accountable bishops and religious superiors who cover up for them.

Francis met on Thursday for the first time with his sex abuse advisory commission, which was created in 2014 to advise him and the Catholic Church on best practices to keep paedophiles out of the priesthood and protect children.

The commission has held educational workshops in dioceses around the world, but has faced such stiff resistance to some of its proposals at the Vatican that its most prominent member, abuse survivor Marie Collins, resigned in frustration in March.

The commission’s statutes and membership are up for review, and it remains to be seen if victims will be included.

Cardinal Sean O'Malley, the archbishop of Boston and head of the commission, told the pope the commission had "benefited greatly" from listening to survivors, but made no mention of whether any were under consideration for membership.

On the membership front, he said only that the commission was seeking "representatives from churches in different parts of the world".

Currently, non-church experts fill the ranks, including noted sociologists and psychologists in the field of abuse and child protection.

In his remarks, Francis renewed his pledge of "zero tolerance" for sex abuse.

He stressed his "profound pain" and shame that children were harmed by priests and those "who should have been the most worthy of trust".

"I repeat today that the church will respond with the application of the firmest measures possible against all those who betrayed their call and abused children of God," Francis said, adding that such sanctions must be applied to all those who work in church institutions.

He recalled that he had approved new rules to sanction bishops who covered up for paedophiles with negligence.

Left unsaid was the fact that Francis scrapped a proposed tribunal to prosecute such bishops canonically, which had been a key proposal by his advisory commission.

The tribunal was ditched after Vatican officials raised a host of legal and procedural problems that had simply never been worked out before the tribunal section was announced to great fanfare by the commission.


Related Articles

Pope calls for action on ’plague’ of violence against women; Anger over sex abuse comments continues

Pope 'profoundly concerned' at Trump decision to recognise Jerusalem as Israel's capital

Call by Pope Francis to space station 'a small step' for better Russia-Vatican relations

More in this Section

Glasgow city centre residents warned of asbestos fears following 'massive blaze'

Bug burgers and algae buns – just what’s cooking in Ikea’s innovation kitchen?

Man jumps from public gallery of Dutch parliament in attempt to hang himself

Donald Trump says 'weak' Joe Biden 'would go down fast and hard'


New father’s life ‘changed forever’ after he was run over by surgeon

The biggest cancer killer will take your breath away

Hopefully she had an idea...

Power of the press: Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks discuss 'The Post'

More From The Irish Examiner