Polar bear dies in Germany after eating object

Polar bear dies in Germany after eating object

A polar bear has died after apparently swallowing a jacket or bag dropped into his enclosure by a visitor, a German zoo said.

The Wilhelma zoo in Stuttgart said zookeepers realised something was wrong with 25-year-old Anton when he started vomiting pieces of fabric. The bear died early on Monday of severe intestinal injuries.

The zoo said it is not clear why Anton ate the object rather than tearing it apart, as he usually did with things that landed in his enclosure.

His keepers suspect there was something tasty inside that the bear could not resist.

The zoo appealed to visitors to report the loss of large objects to allow zookeepers to remove them quickly.

It said it previously lost an elephant seal that swallowed a toy animal.

More in this Section

Coronavirus study prompts optimism despite death toll riseCoronavirus study prompts optimism despite death toll rise

Apple warns of coronavirus impact on resultsApple warns of coronavirus impact on results

British woman swept away by Storm Dennis floodwater is found deadBritish woman swept away by Storm Dennis floodwater is found dead

Assad predicts total victory after gains in northern SyriaAssad predicts total victory after gains in northern Syria


Lifestyle

Des O'Sullivan takes a look at Bill Wyman's Rolling Stones memorabiliaRolling Stones memorabilia going under the hammer

All ages can suffer from spots across their back but thankfully, there are many things we can do about them, says Jennifer RockThe Skin Nerd: back to basics to treat the pesky plague of ‘bacne’

Roz Crowley tests eight coffees ahead of Fairtrade FortnightEight of the best fairtrade coffees to try

Steel Panther give metal fans the chance to let their hair down and laugh at themselves, and the Cork audience is in party mood.Live review: Steel Panther at Cyprus Avenue

More From The Irish Examiner