The common-law wife of one of the perpetrators of last week’s terrorist rampage in France crossed into Syria from Turkey on January 8, Turkey’s foreign minister said today.
Mevlut Cavusoglu told the state-run Anadolu news agency that Hayat Boumedienne arrived in Turkey from Madrid on January 2, ahead of the attacks, and stayed at a hotel in Istanbul.
He said Turkish authorities established that she had crossed into Syria on Thursday, the day her husband shot a policewoman dead on the outskirts of Paris and a day after the massacre at satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo.
Meanshile, French security forces are mobilising in their search for what the prime minister called a “probable” accomplice to three days of bloodshed and terror around the capital.
Manuel Valls said the search is urgent because “the threat is still present” after the attacks that left 17 people dead – journalists at Charlie Hebdo, hostages at a kosher supermarket and three police officers. All three attackers died in nearly simultaneous raids by security forces on Friday.
Video emerged yesterday of one of the assailants explaining how the attacks would unfold and police want to find the person who filmed and posted the video.
Mr Valls told BFM television today that France is at war against “terrorism, against jihadism, against radical Islam”.