Nuclear sabotage suspects released in Sweden

Swedish police say they have released two sabotage suspects arrested in an explosives scare at a nuclear plant.

Police spokesman Kenth Andersson said the two men were released today. They were arrested on Wednesday after one of them was stopped at the Oskarshamn nuclear plant carrying a plastic bag with traces of a highly explosive substance.

Prosecutor Gunilla Ohlin said: ``There was no reason to keep them under arrest any more, but the suspicions against them remain.''

That would suggest authorities do not have any strong evidence that the men were planning to attack the nuclear plant, about 150 miles south of Stockholm.

Police arrested the two men after security guards found a substance believed to be triacetone triperoxide, or TATP, on a plastic bag that one of them was carrying.

TATP is an explosive that was used in the 2005 London bombings.

The plant’s operator, OKG, said no bomb was found and the incident did not pose a threat to the Oskarshamn generating station, which provides 10% of Sweden’s electricity.

Nevertheless, officials stopped reactor O1 – one of the plant’s three reactors - for inspections as a security precaution.

The two suspects had been performing maintenance work on the second reactor, O2, which was shut down for an annual review on May 11. However, plant spokesman Anders Osterberg said it could not be ruled out that the men had also accessed the O1 reactor area.

The power station’s third reactor remained in operation.

Osterberg said shutting down a reactor normally results in lost income of about 5 million kronor (€541,507) per day, but added, “We don’t like to put a price tag on safety.”

Police did not release the suspects’ identities, saying only that one was born in 1955 and the other in 1962 and both were Swedish citizens. The older suspect was known to police from prior investigations, police spokesman Sven-Erik Karlsson said.

Police raided their homes late Wednesday, but did not find anything suspicious, he said.

More in this Section

Thousands gather to support Italian hardliner SalviniThousands gather to support Italian hardliner Salvini

Protesters defy ban to march in central Hong KongProtesters defy ban to march in central Hong Kong

Tunisia seeks new leader to boost economy and fight terrorTunisia seeks new leader to boost economy and fight terror

Israeli PM Netanyahu convenes Cabinet in West Bank ahead of electionIsraeli PM Netanyahu convenes Cabinet in West Bank ahead of election


Lifestyle

The evening may have gotten off to a slow start, but velvet-voiced Canadian singer-songwriter Feist’s performance at Cork Opera House on Saturday night was worth waiting for.Velvet-voiced Feist worth the wait

More From The Irish Examiner