North Korean nuclear envoy to visit US

North Korean nuclear envoy to visit US

North Korea’s top nuclear negotiator is heading to New York next week, following a deal between the nations to suspend uranium enrichment in return for food aid, it emerged today.

Two people with knowledge of negotiations between the United States and North Korea said Ri Yong Ho would be visiting the US following yesterday’s announcement of the deal.

The agreement calls for the US to provide food aid in exchange for a suspension of uranium enrichment and a moratorium on nuclear and long-range missile tests by North Korea.

The sources, speaking anonymously because of the sensitivity of the negotiations, said the North Korean envoy would attend a security forum at Syracuse University in New York.

The US State Department said the North had agreed to allow International Atomic Energy inspectors to verify and monitor the moratorium on uranium enrichment and confirm disablement of its nuclear reactor at Yongbyon.

The US will meet North Korea to finalise details for a proposed package of 240,000 tonnes of food aid.

North Korea issued a similar, although differently worded statement released simultaneously in Pyongyang.

The Foreign Ministry said in its statement carried by the state-run news agency that the North agreed to the nuclear moratoriums and to allow in UN inspectors “with a view to maintaining positive atmosphere” for the US-North Korea talks.

The announcement follows talks in Beijing last week between US and North Korean negotiators, the first since negotiations were suspended after long-time ruler Kim Jong Il’s death in December from a heart attack.

Before his death, the US and North Korea were close to such an agreement, which appears to meet US preconditions for restarting the six-nation talks suspended three years ago.

“The United States still has profound concerns regarding North Korean behaviour across a wide range of areas, but today’s announcement reflects important, if limited, progress in addressing some of these,” the US statement said yesterday.

It said the United States reaffirmed that it did not have hostile intent towards North Korea and “is prepared to take steps to improve our bilateral relationship in the spirit of mutual respect for sovereignty and equality”.

More on this topic

North Korea fires more projectiles into sea, claims SouthNorth Korea fires more projectiles into sea, claims South

North Korea says Kim Jong Un supervised latest tests of weapons systemsNorth Korea says Kim Jong Un supervised latest tests of weapons systems

North Korea fires two missiles into the sea, claim SeoulNorth Korea fires two missiles into the sea, claim Seoul

Kim Jong Un brands missile test ‘adequate warning’ to US and South KoreaKim Jong Un brands missile test ‘adequate warning’ to US and South Korea

More in this Section

Corbyn demands immediate publication of UK Government’s no-deal dossierCorbyn demands immediate publication of UK Government’s no-deal dossier

Pentagon conducts first test of previously banned missilePentagon conducts first test of previously banned missile

Twitter shuts Chinese accounts targeting Hong Kong protestsTwitter shuts Chinese accounts targeting Hong Kong protests

US lawmakers 'could block trade deal' if Good Friday Agreement is underminedUS lawmakers 'could block trade deal' if Good Friday Agreement is undermined


Lifestyle

Columnist and trained counsellor Fiona Caine offers guidance on how to cope when your husband is pushing boundaries.Ask a counsellor: ‘My husband is playing games with another woman – what should I do?’

We take a trip down memory lane and check out what happened on this day in years gone by by looking back at some Irish Examiner front pages and highlighting other events which went down in history across the world.August 20, 2019: A look back at what happened on this day in years gone by

More From The Irish Examiner