Millions in Yemen threatened by aid blockade, campaigners say

Millions in Yemen threatened by aid blockade, campaigners say

Millions of Yemenis face the risk of death as aid deliveries cannot get to those in need because of the continuing blockade of the war-ravaged country by the Saudi-led coalition, the head of the World Food Programme in the country has said.

Speaking by telephone from Yemen’s capital, Sanaa, Stephen Anderson said it is "heartbreaking" that millions depended on sustained access to humanitarian aid.

Of a population of 26 million, some 17 million Yemenis do not know where their next meal is coming from and seven million are totally dependent on food assistance.

Humanitarian flights to the northern, rebel-held parts of Yemen have been grounded amid the blockade imposed by the coalition in response to a rebel missile attack near the Saudi capital, Riyadh, earlier this month.

The missile was struck down but it marked the closest that a rebel projectile had come to the kingdom’s capital.

After widespread international criticism of its blockade, Saudi Arabia said last week it would reverse its closure of Yemen’s sea ports and airports, though not those in the hands of the Shiite rebels known as Houthis.

On Sunday night, a coalition airstrike in the northern Yemeni province of Jawf killed 10 civilians, including four women and two children, according to security officials and tribal sources in the area.

The airstrike targeted a house amid intense fighting in the area between forces loyal to Yemen’s coalition-backed and internationally recognised government, and the Iran-backed Houthis, the officials said.

There was no immediate word from the coalition on the airstrike or its intended target.

The coalition, which began its war against the Houthis in 2015, claims the rebels often use civilians as human shields.

The civil war in Yemen, an impoverished Arab nation in the southwest of the Arabian Peninsula, has killed at least 10,000 civilians since it broke out in 2014.


More in this Section

South African province prepares 1.5 million graves as virus hits ‘full speed’South African province prepares 1.5 million graves as virus hits ‘full speed’

Significant divergences between Brussels and UK on trade deal, EU saysSignificant divergences between Brussels and UK on trade deal, EU says

Hundreds stranded in Japan as downpours cause more than 60 deathsHundreds stranded in Japan as downpours cause more than 60 deaths

Seoul mayor reported missing amid sexual harassment allegationsSeoul mayor reported missing amid sexual harassment allegations


Lifestyle

Is there a natural treatment I could use instead of steroids and antibiotic drops for dry eye?Natural health: I suffer from chronic dry eye

Denise O’Donoghue checks in with several expats affected by the cancellation of shows in BritainIrish actors on the crisis the West End theatre industry faces

This month marks four decades since the release of the classic record that would also be Ian Curtis’s final album with Joy Division. Ed Power chats to a number of Cork music fans about what it meant to themJoy Division: Forty years on from Closer

Last week, I shared my lockdown experience. I asked for a more uniform approach, should there be another lockdown. I explained that I worked mornings. Maybe I should have been more specific: working 8am to 1pm without a break, I gave feedback and covered the curriculum, using our school’s online platform. In the afternoons, I looked after my three kids (all under ten) while my husband worked. It was a challenging time for everyone and the uncertainty around what I should have been doing as a teacher made it harder.Diary of an Irish teacher: I want to get back to work. But I would like to do it safely

More From The Irish Examiner