Man who searched for missing WW2 soldiers dies after scuba diving in channel

A man who helped a US organisation search for American servicemen missing from the Second World War has died after scuba diving in the English Channel, authorities in Britain said.

Dr Bruce Hottum, 63, of Glenford, New York, died last week, Kent coroner's office confirmed.

An investigation is under way.

Kent Police said they went to the waterfront in Ramsgate on Friday after a report of a man who had collapsed after a dive.

He was taken to hospital, where he was pronounced dead, police said.

Mr Hottum went to the Palau Islands in the Pacific in 2015 to search for American MIAs from the Second World War.

His dental practice partner said he was exploring a Second World War plane wreck site when he was stricken.


More in this Section

Anti-abortion campaign returns to Scottish court over home terminations

Massive cargo ship runs aground off British beach

Katie Price given January court date after being charged with driving offence

What is happening with Jeremy Corbyn’s no-confidence motion in Theresa May?


Lifestyle

Making Cents: Planning for your financial future

Dive right in for Christmas swim in aid of a good cause

In the frame during a big year for comics

Musical theatre review: Les Miserables

More From The Irish Examiner