The latest man arrested by detectives investigating the Jimmy Savile sex abuse scandal has been bailed until January, police said today.
The man, in his 60s and from London, was arrested at 6.45am today on suspicion of sexual offences and taken to a south London police station.
He was arrested as part of Operation Yewtree, the investigation into allegations of sex abuse surrounding Savile and others, but falls under the strand of the investigation termed “others”.
The man has since been bailed until a date in January, Scotland Yard said.
The force is leading the national probe into claims made against disgraced TV presenter Savile and figures in the entertainment industry.
Today’s arrest was the sixth in the inquiry, and he was the seventh person to be questioned in connection with the Yewtree operation, which involves a team of 30 officers and has already cost around £2m (€2.5m).
PR guru Max Clifford protested his innocence after being questioned by detectives last Thursday.
The publicist, who was held at his Surrey home on suspicion of sexual offences and taken to Belgravia police station in central London for questioning, said the allegations were “damaging and totally untrue”.
“On a personal level, they are very distressing for myself, my wife, my family and loved ones,” he said.
“Anyone who really knew me all those years ago and those who have known me since will have no doubt that I would never act in the way that I have today been accused.”
Other high-profile names arrested in connection with the investigation include Gary Glitter, comedian Freddie Starr, DJ Dave Lee Travis and a man in his 70s, reported to be former television producer Wilfred De’Ath.
Last month the force said it was dealing with around 450 potential victims, the vast majority of whom claimed they had fallen prey to Savile.
Officers are looking at three strands within their inquiry: claims against Savile, those against Savile and others, and those against others.