Detectives investigating the disappearance of Madeleine McCann have "outstanding work" left to do on the inquiry and may apply for more British Home Office funding.
In April, the UK's then-home secretary Theresa May granted the team £95,000 (110,000) to keep the investigation going, with the cash expected to last until October.
On Wednesday, Scotland Yard said it would talk to the Home Office about funding.
A force spokesman told the Press Association: "Whilst there remains outstanding work on this case, the Metropolitan Police Service will remain in dialogue with the Home Office regarding the continuation of funding."
The British investigation, Operation Grange, was expected to be wound up after Scotland Yard boss Bernard Hogan-Howe said in May that British investigators had one remaining line of inquiry to follow and unless any new evidence came to light the probe would finish.
This came seven months after the investigation team was scaled back drastically to just four officers.
Earlier this month, the Sunday Mirror also reported that forensic investigations by the team had ended.