Londoner, Canadian and French national among confirmed victims, five still missing

Londoner, Canadian and French national among confirmed victims, five still missing

Update 10pm: A Londoner, a Canadian woman and a French national were among those who were killed in Saturday night's attack in the capital.

Seven people died and 48 others were injured when three knifemen ploughed into pedestrians on London Bridge and stabbed people in Borough Market.

These are the victims who have been confirmed as dead:

* James McMullan, 32, from Hackney, was last seen outside the Barrowboy And Banker pub and his sister said police have told her his bank card was found on a body at the scene of the attack.

Melissa McMullan told Sky News "While our pain will never diminish, it is important for us all to carry on with our lives in direct opposition to those who wish to destroy us and remember that hatred is the refuge of small-minded individuals and will only breed more.

"Words will never be able to match his essence, there will only ever be one James.

"Nowhere else will you find such humour and a unique personality, someone who puts friends and family above all others.

"He was an inspiration."

She added police told her they were unable to formally identify him until the coroner's releases a report on Tuesday.

* Christine Archibald, 30, was the first to be named.

Londoner, Canadian and French national among confirmed victims, five still missing

She died in her fiance's arms after being struck by the speeding van on London Bridge.

Her family said she would have had "no understanding of the callous cruelty that caused her death".

* A French citizen was also killed, foreign affairs minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said.

The victim has not yet been named but French newspapers reported that he was from St Malo, Brittany, and worked in a bar in the London Bridge area.

Five people were reported MISSING and have not been seen since the attack:

Sebastien Belanger has not been seen since the attack, his girlfriend Gerda Bennet said on Facebook.

"I have emergency over here guys! My boyfriend is missing for 24h after London Bridge terror attack," she posted, adding on Monday: "I still have no news."

His friends have set up a page on the social networking site in an attempt to find him.

Xavier Thomas and his girlfriend, Christine Delcros, are said to have both been victims.

Nathalie Cros Brohan said on Facebook her sister Ms Delcros was injured and hospitalised, while Mr Thomas is yet to be found.

"I call on all those who have news of #Xavier #Thomas who is missing," she posted. "We're terribly worried."

Australian Sara Zelenak's friends have appealed for help to find her on social media.

Pri Goncalves said on Facebook she was the last person to see her on Saturday night.

She wrote: "I called her a lot of times but she never picked up the phone. She hasn't been seen since the attack and we are all scared, worried but hoping she will be all right."

Family members have appealed on social media to trace Spaniard Ignacio Echeverria, 39.

Joaquin Echeverria wrote on Facebook he had been seen "defending someone with his skateboard", adding: "We keep looking for Ignacio, disappeared in the London attacks. We pray for the better. We would really appreciate any news."

According to his sister, James McMullan has not been seen since he became separated from his friends while smoking outside a bar.

Melissa McMullan posted on Instagram: "His friends haven't seen him since. He is not answering any calls or messages and he is not at home."

Updated 5.20pmJames McMullan, 32, is the second person to be confirmed as among the London bridge victims after his bank card was found on a body at the scene, his sister Melissa McMullan has told reporters.

James McMullan, from Hackney, was last seen outside the Barrowboy and Banker pub on Saturday night, before the attackers brought carnage to London Bridge.

His sister Melissa McMullan told Sky News: "This morning we received news from the police that my brother's bank card was found on one of the bodies from Saturday night's brutal attack.

"They are unable to formally identify him until the coroner's report begins tomorrow."

She added: "We would like to send our condolences to the relatives and loved ones of all the people who lost their lives. Our thoughts are with them also at the time.

"We would like to thank the members of the services who did their utmost to serve and protect the population of London from these deranged and deluded individuals.

"While our pain will never diminish, it is important for us all to carry on with our lives in direct opposition to those who wish to destroy us and remember that hatred is the refuge of small-minded individuals and will only breed more."

Ms McMullan said her brother's friends who were with him on the night want everyone to know what a generous and caring person he was.

She added: "Words will never be able to match his essence, there will only ever be one James. Nowhere else will you find such humour and a unique personality, someone who puts friends and family above all others.

"He was an inspiration."

Londoner, Canadian and French national among confirmed victims, five still missing

UPDATED 4.37pm:Friends of a French chef missing since the London Bridge terror attack have told of the stress and frustration they have endured searching for him.

Sebastien Belanger was last seen drinking at the Boro Bistro near Borough Market when the area came under attack by a gang of knifemen on Saturday.

Two of his companions that night escaped uninjured, but the fate of the 36-year-old remains unknown.

His loved ones - who have since printed leaflets in a plea for information - believe he is still alive.

Fellow Frenchman Damien Lecomte, 34, who has known Mr Belanger since their arrival in the UK seven years ago, has been handing out flyers at King's College Hospital, south-east London.

Clutching a picture of his friend, he told the Press Association: "It has been now more than 36 hours since Sebastien has been missing, so basically we are trying to get attention or details from anyone who can help us, anyone who can give us useful information, anybody who saw him, who heard about him, they can let us know and work as well with the police.

"As soon as I heard about the attacks I tried to call Sebastien and no answer all night, so it is a very stressful and frustrating situation.

"We have to stay positive, we still believe we will find him and get some good times."

Originally from Angers, western France, Mr Belanger has lived in London for several years, including with Mr Lecomte for a time.

The pair had been watching the Champions League final at the Barrowboy and Banker pub on Saturday, near where the attackers later crashed the van used to mow down pedestrians on London Bridge.

Mr Lecomte continued: "Basically the last time I met Sebastien was at London Bridge on Saturday afternoon, I left him around 7pm, he was planning to go to watch the game with a couple of friends, have a couple of drinks after that.

"At the moment, as we don't have information we have tried to go to all hospitals, we have been to the embassy, we have called the consulate, the Met, everybody that can give us information.

"We have been told they can only collect information, not give any, so we are clueless."

Londoner, Canadian and French national among confirmed victims, five still missing

UPDATED 3.55pm:A Canadian woman, the first victim to be named, died in her fiance’s arms after being struck by a speeding van as terrorists again brought havoc to the British capital, it has emerged.

Christine Archibald, 30, would have had "no understanding of the callous cruelty that caused her death", her family said as they paid tribute to her.

She is the first named victim of the atrocity in London Bridge and Borough Market on Saturday night, which killed seven people and critically injured 21 others.

Cassie Ferguson Rowe said her brother, Tyler Ferguson, held Ms Archibald, from British Columbia, and she died in his arms.

Writing on Facebook, she said: "Last night in London my baby brother lost the love of his life on the London Bridge.

"In a split second his entire life was ripped away from him. Hearing his painful sobs on the phone while he’s alone trying to deal with this tears me apart.

"I have no words. If you know Tyler, please be there for him now, and later when what happened sinks in, he’s going to need us all."

Ms Archibald’s family said in a statement: "We grieve the loss of our beautiful, loving daughter and sister. She had room in her heart for everyone and believed strongly that every person was to be valued and respected.

"She lived this belief, working in a shelter for the homeless until she moved to Europe to be with her fiance.

"She would have had no understanding of the callous cruelty that caused her death.

"Please honour her by making your community a better place. Volunteer your time and labour or donate to a homeless shelter. Tell them Chrissy sent you."

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said he was "heartbroken" to learn of Ms Archibald’s death.

Applauding the UK for its strength and resilience in the face of adversity, he said: "These hateful acts do not deter us; they only strengthen our resolve.

"Canadians stand united with the British people. We will continue to work together with the United Kingdom and all our allies to fight terrorism and bring perpetrators to justice."

On Sunday, Prime Minister Theresa May visited some of the 48 people taken to hospitals across the capital after the attack.

A French citizen has also been killed, foreign affairs minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said.

The victim has not yet been named but French newspapers reported that he was from St Malo, Brittany, and worked in a bar in the London Bridge area.

Five people were reported MISSING and have not been seen since the attack:

Sebastien Belanger has not been seen since the attack, his girlfriend Gerda Bennet said on Facebook.

"I have emergency over here guys! My boyfriend is missing for 24h after London Bridge terror attack," she posted, adding on Monday: "I still have no news."

His friends have set up a page on the social networking site in an attempt to find him.

Xavier Thomas and his girlfriend, Christine Delcros, are said to have both been victims.

Nathalie Cros Brohan said on Facebook her sister Ms Delcros was injured and hospitalised, while Mr Thomas is yet to be found.

"I call on all those who have news of #Xavier #Thomas who is missing," she posted. "We're terribly worried."

Australian Sara Zelenak's friends have appealed for help to find her on social media.

Pri Goncalves said on Facebook she was the last person to see her on Saturday night.

She wrote: "I called her a lot of times but she never picked up the phone. She hasn't been seen since the attack and we are all scared, worried but hoping she will be all right."

Family members have appealed on social media to trace Spaniard Ignacio Echeverria, 39.

Joaquin Echeverria wrote on Facebook he had been seen "defending someone with his skateboard", adding: "We keep looking for Ignacio, disappeared in the London attacks. We pray for the better. We would really appreciate any news."

According to his sister, James McMullan has not been seen since he became separated from his friends while smoking outside a bar.

Melissa McMullan posted on Instagram: "His friends haven't seen him since. He is not answering any calls or messages and he is not at home."

More on this topic

London Bridge victim’s father accuses Boris Johnson of lying during TV debateLondon Bridge victim’s father accuses Boris Johnson of lying during TV debate

London Bridge terror victims died after being stabbed in chest, inquest toldLondon Bridge terror victims died after being stabbed in chest, inquest told

Protesters swarm Pakistan newspaper offices over London Bridge reportProtesters swarm Pakistan newspaper offices over London Bridge report

Inquests to be opened for London Bridge terror victimsInquests to be opened for London Bridge terror victims

More in this Section

Brexit Party takes action over ‘racist’ comments by activistsBrexit Party takes action over ‘racist’ comments by activists

36 players cleared in Spain match-fixing trial36 players cleared in Spain match-fixing trial

Sixty firefighters tackle large blaze in Glasgow city centreSixty firefighters tackle large blaze in Glasgow city centre

13 feared dead with 'no signs of life' on White Island after volcanic eruption13 feared dead with 'no signs of life' on White Island after volcanic eruption


Lifestyle

Carol O’Callaghan gets top expert tips on how to lay and decorate a glorious Christmas dinner table, creating a festive but stylish look to wow your visitors.Your go-to guide to laying the perfect Christmas table

Sometimes I think we impose Christmas on our kids. A couple of weeks back, my wife and I were all about The Late Late Toy Show and going to see Jack and The Beanstalk in the Everyman Theatre.Learner Dad: I think we impose Christmas on our kids

Darina Allen says it is time to make a shopping list for your Christmas meals to remove any stress and enjoy the break with your loved ones.Darina Allen: A feast of food and lots of fun

For our food special, our Currabinny duo, James Kavanagh and William Murray, dish up their top festive side plates.The Currabinny Cooks: Festive side plates to dish up this Christmas

More From The Irish Examiner