Iran’s recent ballistic missile test was “a clear violation” of UN sanctions, according to US ambassador Samantha Power.
Ms Power said that after reviewing available information, the United States has confirmed that the medium-range ballistic missile launched on October 10 was “inherently capable of delivering a nuclear weapon”.
She said this violated a UN Security Council resolution banning such launches.
Ms Power said the United States is preparing a report for the council committee monitoring sanctions against Iran.
“The Security Council prohibition on Iran’s ballistic missile activities, as well as the arms embargo, remain in place and we will continue to press the Security Council for an appropriate response to Iran’s disregard for its international obligations,” she said in a statement.
Iranian state TV reported the successful test firing of a new guided long-range ballistic surface-to-surface missile last week.
White House press secretary Josh Earnest raised concerns soon after the launch, saying there were “strong indications” it violated UN sanctions.
He said the United States has seen Iran “almost serially violate the international community’s concerns about their ballistic missile programme”.
Mr Earnest stressed, however, that those violations are “entirely separate” from the historic nuclear deal reached between Iran and world powers, which is aimed at preventing its development of nuclear weapons.
He added that Iran in recent years has abided by its commitments made during the nuclear talks.