Hearing into Manchester Arena suicide bombing deaths confirmed

A pre-inquest hearing into the deaths of the 22 victims of the Manchester Arena suicide bombing will go ahead on Friday, Manchester City’s coroners office has confirmed.

A notice on its website stated it had been postponed to a date to be confirmed in early 2018 as the "evidence gathering process is still ongoing".

Today, HM Coroners Office for Manchester City Area said the website was incorrect and was being amended.

The hearing will take place at Manchester Town Hall at 10.30am on Friday, said the office.

The inquests were opened and adjourned by HM Senior Coroner Nigel Meadows at Manchester Civil Justice Centre in June as brief summaries to the background circumstances of each of the fatalities from the May 22 atrocity were outlined.

None of the families of the deceased attended the opening which lasted just short of an hour and was preceded by a minute’s silence.

A separate inquest is taking place into the death of bomber Salman Abedi, 22, which was also opened and adjourned in June.

A further preliminary hearing of his inquest will take place at Manchester Town Hall on December 1.

Abedi detonated the device at the end of an Ariana Grande concert with 353 people, including 175 children, around him in the foyer of the arena venue, police said earlier this month.

As well as the 22 dead, 16 people were very seriously injured including paralysis, loss of limbs, internal injuries, and very serious facial injuries involving complicated plastic surgery. Two people remain in hospital, added police.

A total of 512 people were either physically injured or left profoundly traumatised with 112 treated in hospital.


Related Articles

First police dog on scene of Manchester Arena bombing retires

We should have been told Manchester Arena bomber was rescued by Navy – survivor

Manchester Arena bomber had been rescued by Royal Navy

NHS staff are the best people in the world, says Manchester terror attack victim

More in this Section

Man charged with murdering nurse who performed on BGT with NHS choir in UK

Nurse who performed on Britain's Got Talent with NHS choir stabbed to death

Pakistan's ruling party suspends MP over assault

Genoa disaster points to difficulties with ageing bridges


More From The Irish Examiner