Grenfell Tower inquiry head must quit - campaigners

Grenfell Tower inquiry head must quit - campaigners

The Grenfell Tower public inquiry is on the brink of losing survivors' support unless the judge leading it is replaced, campaigners have said.

Justice 4 Grenfell, which has been representing survivors, cited concerns about the scope of the probe, adding: "The whole thing needs to start again."

Calls for Sir Martin Moore-Bick's resignation, barely three days into the job, come after he expressed doubt that the process would be broad enough to satisfy all survivors.

The former Court of Appeal judge said it would be "pretty well limited" to examining cause of the fire, how it spread and how to prevent it in future.

Those touched by the tragedy, however, have lobbied for the systemic issues underlying the blaze, in which at least 80 people have died, to be scrutinised.

Sue Caro, a co-ordinator for Justice 4 Grenfell, told the Press Association: "His comments revealed the remit he had been given was the cause of the fire and why it spread so quickly and ensuring it didn't happen again, well that is not good enough.

"We met with one of the public inquiry team last week on Friday and he told us they would start consultation from tomorrow for three weeks.

"However we don't know if that is going to be an exercise, whether it will be meaningful, whether, having done three weeks of consultation, the remit remains exactly the same, we won't know.

"Our view is the whole thing needs to start again - there is no confidence in the process.

"He has already said he doesn't think it is going to satisfy what residents want, why set up an inquiry that you know is not going to do what is required before you've even started?

"People who have had the most awful experience ever are not really inclined to keep giving the Government the benefit of the doubt."

A housing case over which Sir Martin presided in 2014 has been the focus of concerns for some survivors.

In the proceedings he had sided with Westminster City Council's decision that mother-of-five Titina Nzolameso should be rehoused 50 miles (80km) away.

His ruling was later overturned in the Supreme Court.

With permanent accommodation a worry for many of the Grenfell Tower residents, his involvement in the case had inflamed sensitivities.

Ms Caro added: "The ruling he made was an absolutely disaster for social housing tenants.

"It basically gave councils the green light to socially cleanse. For those reasons as well it is not a great choice."

PA

More on this topic

Man who filmed Grenfell Tower bonfire clearedMan who filmed Grenfell Tower bonfire cleared

Burning Grenfell Tower model was joke among friends, accused tells courtBurning Grenfell Tower model was joke among friends, accused tells court

Grenfell Tower bonfire model ‘an artistic effort’Grenfell Tower bonfire model ‘an artistic effort’

Man who filmed Grenfell model burning on bonfire ‘said it was stupid moment’Man who filmed Grenfell model burning on bonfire ‘said it was stupid moment’

More in this Section

Scottish politicians react to Prime Minister’s Brexit defeatScottish politicians react to Prime Minister’s Brexit defeat

What could happen next in the Brexit saga?What could happen next in the Brexit saga?

Further delay of Brexit 'not a solution' says Johnson in letter to MPsFurther delay of Brexit 'not a solution' says Johnson in letter to MPs

Barcelona mayor appeals for calm after violent protestsBarcelona mayor appeals for calm after violent protests


Lifestyle

These are the nail hues to choose this season, says Katie Wright.Perfectly polished: 5 autumn/winter nail trends you’ll actually want to wear

This early 19th-century table is one of a number of Irish lots at Sotheby’s Style, Furniture and Ceramics sale in New York on Thursday (October 24).Irish lots poised to add bite to Big Apple sale

Something for all at Hegarty’s auction in Bandon, says Des O’SullivanSomething for all at Hegarty’s auction in Bandon

Des O’Sullivan gives a preview of the Irish selection on offer at two sales in DublinPreview of the Irish selection on offer at two sales in Dublin

More From The Irish Examiner