Generals and protesters claim progress made in Sudan transition talks

Sudan’s ruling generals and the protesters who drove President Omar al-Bashir from power last month have said they are making progress in negotiations and have agreed on the length of the country’s transition period.

The two sides, which have been at odds over the transfer of power to civilian rule, have said the transition will last three years.

Lieutenant General Yasser al-Atta, a member of the military council, and Madani Abbas, a negotiator for the protesters, said on Wednesday they also agreed on the makeup of a 300-member, all-civilian transitional legislative body.

A group of protesters chant revolutionary slogans (Salih Basheer/AP)
A group of protesters chant revolutionary slogans (Salih Basheer/AP)

Lt Gen al-Atta has said the next issue is the makeup of a sovereign council and he hopes they will strike a deal within 24 hours.

The military took over after ousting Mr al-Bashir, but the protesters stayed on the streets, demanding handover of power.

- Press Association

More on this topic

Sudan urged to hand over ‘war crime’ suspects or put them on trial

Sudan’s ousted leader seen in public for first time since uprising

UN calls for investigation into Sudan’s slide into ‘human rights abyss’

Military accuses protesters of escalating tensions in Sudan

More in this Section

Methane on Mars back down to background levels after spike

Johnson pledges to prioritise tax cuts for those on lowest pay

France put on hot weather alert as heatwave reaches Europe

It is 'simply unfair' and a 'waste of time' to discuss personal life, Boris Johnson says


Lifestyle

Ask a counsellor: ‘Why does my husband hate that our daughter’s dating a man going through divorce?’

Check-mate: Gingham- the easy summer style win

Four of the most important post-workout stretches you should be doing ...

Checked the electrics lately? 7 signs your home needs rewiring

More From The Irish Examiner