Generals and protesters claim progress made in Sudan transition talks

Sudan’s ruling generals and the protesters who drove President Omar al-Bashir from power last month have said they are making progress in negotiations and have agreed on the length of the country’s transition period.

The two sides, which have been at odds over the transfer of power to civilian rule, have said the transition will last three years.

Lieutenant General Yasser al-Atta, a member of the military council, and Madani Abbas, a negotiator for the protesters, said on Wednesday they also agreed on the makeup of a 300-member, all-civilian transitional legislative body.

A group of protesters chant revolutionary slogans (Salih Basheer/AP)

Lt Gen al-Atta has said the next issue is the makeup of a sovereign council and he hopes they will strike a deal within 24 hours.

The military took over after ousting Mr al-Bashir, but the protesters stayed on the streets, demanding handover of power.

- Press Association

More on this topic

Talks continue but solution elusive for Sudan’s generals and protesters

Sudan’s military council resumes talks with protesters

'Six killed' as protesters clash with security forces in Sudan

Islamists call for rally to support military in Sudan power struggle

More in this Section

Family pay tribute to ‘aspirational’ British climber who died on Everest

India poll winner Narendra Modi wins backing from allies for new term as PM

59,000 sign petition backing doctor who asked Muslim patient to remove veil

Donald Trump arrives in Tokyo for state visit, golf and sumo


Lifestyle

Gardening: Something for everyone at Chelsea Flower Show

Restaurant review: Ristorante Rinuccini - Kilkenny

The Wine List: Will 2019 see the rise of rosé in Ireland?

The Menu: Food news with Joe McNamee

More From The Irish Examiner