Eight Afghan civilians killed in attack blamed on air strike

Eight Afghan civilians killed in attack blamed on air strike

At least eight Afghan civilians, including four children, have been killed in an attack their relatives have blamed on an air strike.

But officials in the Bala Buluk district of western Farah province claim the deaths were caused by a roadside bomb.

Afghan defence ministry spokesman General Dawlat Waziri said an investigation is under way.

"We are aware of the allegations made by the local people, right now an investigation is going on into the incident in Farah," he said.

Dr Abdul Hakim Rasouli, director of Farah Hospital, said 22 people were injured in the attack.

Three of the wounded are in a critical condition and will be transferred to another hospital in neighbouring Herat province for further treatment, he added.

One resident, a 30-year-old mother-of-four named Salima, said two of her children were killed and a third injured in the attack.

She insisted her family was hit by an air strike.

"I don't want to be alive anymore while I don't have my children with me," she added.

Samila said her village has been the site of ongoing gun battles for the past three days and that Taliban militants had warned villagers to leave their homes for safety.

Elsewhere, an Afghan parliamentarian from Helmand province has been injured in an attack by gunmen in Kandahar province.

Mir Wali was shot by two attackers on a motorcycle who then escaped, the local governor's spokesman Samim Khpolwak said.

Taliban spokesman Qari Yusouf Ahmadi claimed responsibility for the attack, saying Mr Wali is a close ally of the United States.

It was the second attack on Mr Wali in recent months.

In December, three gunmen stormed his home in the capital Kabul. Eight people were killed and Mr Wali was injured.

PA

More in this Section

Corbyn demands immediate publication of UK Government’s no-deal dossierCorbyn demands immediate publication of UK Government’s no-deal dossier

Pentagon conducts first test of previously banned missilePentagon conducts first test of previously banned missile

Twitter shuts Chinese accounts targeting Hong Kong protestsTwitter shuts Chinese accounts targeting Hong Kong protests

US lawmakers 'could block trade deal' if Good Friday Agreement is underminedUS lawmakers 'could block trade deal' if Good Friday Agreement is undermined


Lifestyle

From Turkey to Vietnam, here’s where the chef and food writer has fallen in love with on her travellers.Sabrina Ghayour’s top 5 cities for foodies to visit

Dr Dympna Kavanagh, chief dental officer, Department of Health (University College Cork graduate)Working Life: Dr Dympna Kavanagh, chief dental officer, Department of Health

Like most Irish kids of our generation, chillies, spicy food, heat were never really big aspects of our formative eating experiences.Currabinny Cooks: Getting spicy in the kitchen

Timothy Grady is in Bantry this week to host a concert, and read from his classic book about the Irish in London, writes Don O'Mahony.Giving voice to the emigrant experience

More From The Irish Examiner