The Eiffel Tower was evacuated today after officials received a bomb threat from a telephone booth, the second such alert at the monument in two weeks.
Police closed down the immediate surroundings of the tower, France’s most visited monument, on Tuesday evening, blocking off traffic.
Officers put tape across a bridge leading over the Seine River to the monument, and dozens of police stood guard in the area.
The anonymous caller phoned in the threat to the tower from a nearby neighbourhood, the Paris police headquarters said, adding the company that runs the monument asked police to evacuate it.
The Eiffel Tower was emptied September 14 after a similar phone threat, although police found nothing suspicious after combing the 1,063ft tower.
On Monday, the bustling Saint Lazare train station in Paris was briefly evacuated and searched.
France is on alert for possible terror attacks on crowded targets and National Police Chief Frederic Pechenard said last week that authorities suspect al-Qaida’s North African branch of plotting a bomb attack on a crowded location in France.
That group, al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb, claimed responsibility for the September 16 abduction of five French nationals and two Africans in northern Niger.