Dozens dead in Turkish bomb blasts

Dozens dead in Turkish bomb blasts

Two car bombs exploded in a Turkish town near the border with Syria today, killing around 40 people and injuring 100 others, the country's interior minister said.

Interior minister Muammer Guler told private NTV television that the explosions hit the town of Reyhanli, just across the border from Syria’s Idlib province. One of the car bombs exploded outside the town hall while the other went off outside the post office, he said.

Some 29 of the injured are in serious condition, Mr Guler said.

Suspicion immediately fell on Syria, but there was no immediate confirmation of its involvement. Turkey, which shares a more than 500-mile border with Syria, has been a crucial supporter of the Syrian rebel cause and Ankara has allowed its territory to be used as a logistics base and staging centre for Syrian insurgents.

Health minister Mehmet Muezzinoglu said at least 15 ambulances were helping the injured.

The frontier area has seen heavy fighting. In February, a car bomb exploded at a border crossing with Turkey in Idlib, killing 14. Turkey’s interior minister has blamed Syria’s intelligence agencies and its army for involvement.

Four Syrians and a Turk are in custody in connection with the Feb. 11 attack at the Bab al-Hawa frontier post. No one has claimed responsibility, but a Syrian opposition faction accused the Syrian government of the bombing, saying it narrowly missed 13 leaders of the group.

In that bombing, most of the victims were Syrians who had been waiting in an area straddling the frontier for processing to enter Turkey.

Tensions flared between the Syrian regime and Turkey after shells fired from Syria landed on the Turkish side, prompting Germany, the Netherlands and the United States to send two batteries of Patriot air defence missiles each to protect their Nato ally.

More in this Section

Nicola Sturgeon ‘fighting for European future’ on visit to BerlinNicola Sturgeon ‘fighting for European future’ on visit to Berlin

Two Britons and Italian killed in Venice boat crashTwo Britons and Italian killed in Venice boat crash

Liverpool chief executive visits injured fan in Naples hospitalLiverpool chief executive visits injured fan in Naples hospital

Former US president Jimmy Carter says he could not have managed presidency at 80Former US president Jimmy Carter says he could not have managed presidency at 80


Lifestyle

Kya deLongchamps meets the man who is opening a new chapter on his native FermoyVintage View: Opening a new chapter on Fermoy's story

More From The Irish Examiner