Dog sets fire to kitchen after jumping up at oven

A dog in the UK has set fire to a kitchen while its owners were out on the school run after jumping up at a cooker.

The family pet switched on two electric hobs after bounding up at the oven's dials at a semi-detached house in Sutton Drive, Stoke-on-Trent.

The hob then ignited clothing placed on the cooker top, with flames spreading to nearby cupboards.

Smoke alarms caught the attention of neighbours at about 9.10am on Thursday, who then alerted the fire brigade, Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service said.

The dog was rescued unharmed.

John Kitchener, from the fire service, added: "Thankfully the dog was not injured during this fire but things could easily have been very different."

More in this Section

Johnson sends unsigned photocopy of Parliament’s request for Brexit extension to EUJohnson sends unsigned photocopy of Parliament’s request for Brexit extension to EU

Soldiers on streets of Chilean capital after subway fare protests turn violentSoldiers on streets of Chilean capital after subway fare protests turn violent

Turkey bids to resettle two million Syrian refugees in border ‘safe zone’Turkey bids to resettle two million Syrian refugees in border ‘safe zone’

Scottish politicians react to Prime Minister’s Brexit defeatScottish politicians react to Prime Minister’s Brexit defeat


Lifestyle

These are the nail hues to choose this season, says Katie Wright.Perfectly polished: 5 autumn/winter nail trends you’ll actually want to wear

This early 19th-century table is one of a number of Irish lots at Sotheby’s Style, Furniture and Ceramics sale in New York on Thursday (October 24).Irish lots poised to add bite to Big Apple sale

Something for all at Hegarty’s auction in Bandon, says Des O’SullivanSomething for all at Hegarty’s auction in Bandon

Des O’Sullivan gives a preview of the Irish selection on offer at two sales in DublinPreview of the Irish selection on offer at two sales in Dublin

More From The Irish Examiner