Death sentences for Egypt football riot

Death sentences for Egypt football riot

An Egyptian court has confirmed death sentences handed down against 21 people for their role in a deadly 2012 football riot that killed more than 70 people in the city of Port Said.

The court today also sentenced city’s the former security chief, Major General Essam Samak, to 15 years in prison.

The 21 death sentences were passed on January 28.

Most of those condemned to death are fans of Port Said’s Al-Masry club.

The February 2012 riot, Egypt’s worst football disaster, followed a league game between Al-Masry and Cairo’s Al-Ahly, with Port Said supporters setting upon the visiting fans after the final whistle.

More in this Section

Corbyn demands immediate publication of UK Government’s no-deal dossierCorbyn demands immediate publication of UK Government’s no-deal dossier

Pentagon conducts first test of previously banned missilePentagon conducts first test of previously banned missile

Twitter shuts Chinese accounts targeting Hong Kong protestsTwitter shuts Chinese accounts targeting Hong Kong protests

US lawmakers 'could block trade deal' if Good Friday Agreement is underminedUS lawmakers 'could block trade deal' if Good Friday Agreement is undermined


Lifestyle

From Turkey to Vietnam, here’s where the chef and food writer has fallen in love with on her travellers.Sabrina Ghayour’s top 5 cities for foodies to visit

Dr Dympna Kavanagh, chief dental officer, Department of Health (University College Cork graduate)Working Life: Dr Dympna Kavanagh, chief dental officer, Department of Health

Like most Irish kids of our generation, chillies, spicy food, heat were never really big aspects of our formative eating experiences.Currabinny Cooks: Getting spicy in the kitchen

Timothy Grady is in Bantry this week to host a concert, and read from his classic book about the Irish in London, writes Don O'Mahony.Giving voice to the emigrant experience

More From The Irish Examiner