Cristiano Ronaldo loses bid to dismiss lawsuit brought by rape accuser

Cristiano Ronaldo loses bid to dismiss lawsuit brought by rape accuser

Cristiano Ronaldo has lost a bid for dismissal or complete secrecy in a federal lawsuit by a Nevada woman who accuses him of raping her at a Las Vegas resort more than a decade ago.

Lawyer Larissa Drohobyczer, representing Ronaldo’s accuser, Kathryn Mayorga, said she was satisfied with US District Judge Jennifer Dorsey’s ruling in Las Vegas on Friday.

Peter Christiansen, representing the Juventus and Portugal player, declined to comment.

Last month, Clark County District Attorney Steve Wolfson said Ronaldo will not face criminal charges in the matter- with his lawyers saying the pair had consensual sex in June 2009.

Ms Mayorga’s lawsuit seeks monetary damages of at least $200,000.

It alleges that Ronaldo or people working for him allowed word to become public last year of a hush-money settlement that paid her $375,000.

The judge rejected Ronaldo’s claim that releasing court records would have “weaponised the allegations in this case,” risk public scandal and harm Ronaldo’s reputation and endorsements.

“The cat is already out of the bag about Mayorga’s allegations” and the settlement, Judge Dorsey wrote.

“I’m not satisfied that Ronaldo’s interest in holding Mayorga to her agreement is enough to justify sealing the entire record in this case.”

However, the judge called the settlement between Ronaldo and Mayorga in 2010 a confidential contract between private parties.

“The documents themselves and direct quotes from any of them will remain sealed,” she said.

- Press Association

More on this topic

More history for Messi as Barca battle past Slavia PragueMore history for Messi as Barca battle past Slavia Prague

My critics have short memories, insists Arsenal boss EmeryMy critics have short memories, insists Arsenal boss Emery

Oxlade-Chamberlain marks Champions League return with Liverpool brace at GenkOxlade-Chamberlain marks Champions League return with Liverpool brace at Genk

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer calls Harry Kane ‘one of the best’ in response to Roy Keane commentsOle Gunnar Solskjaer calls Harry Kane ‘one of the best’ in response to Roy Keane comments

More in this Section

Johnson pulls out of appearance before senior MPs to ‘focus on Brexit’Johnson pulls out of appearance before senior MPs to ‘focus on Brexit’

Nine migrants found alive inside lorry container in UK town of Kent Nine migrants found alive inside lorry container in UK town of Kent

Trump name removed from ice rinks in New York’s Central ParkTrump name removed from ice rinks in New York’s Central Park

Channel 4 postpones Smuggled documentary after bodies found in lorryChannel 4 postpones Smuggled documentary after bodies found in lorry


Lifestyle

Antibiotics will not speed up recovery from a viral infection and can make the child feel worse, says Dr Phil KieranBattling bacteria: The pros and cons of giving antibiotics to children

I had to turn off Dublin Murders with 15 minutes to go. We were watching the first episode because I had to review it the following day for the Today Show on RTÉ.Learner Dad: 'I like to see myself as relaxed but I’m obviously bottling up a fair few anxieties'

Purchasing a thatched cottage was a decision that would change Liam Broderick’s life. Kya deLongchamps meets the long-time thatcherMade in Munster: Meet Cork thatcher Liam Broderick

We take a trip back through the Wolves singer’s most major fashion moments.As Selena Gomez surprises fans with new music, these are some of her best style moments

More From The Irish Examiner