Chinese lantern 'sparks recycling blaze' in the UK




Chinese lanterns caused a huge blaze which continues to burn at a plastics recycling plant in Britain, senior fire officers have said.

About 100,000 tonnes of material are involved in the fire at the Jayplas recycling facility in Smethwick, near Birmingham, in what is one of the largest blazes in the region in recent years.

West Midlands Fire and Rescue Service area commander Steve Vincent said: “A Chinese lantern was spotted on CCTV floating across and into the site and starting a fire in plastic bales.”

The fire service said it had more than 35 appliances and at one point up to 200 firefighters at the scene in Dartmouth Road after the blaze was first reported at about 11pm last night.

Ten firefighters have been injured while tackling the flames, with two taken to hospital – one with an eye injury and a second with an ankle injury.

Eight others were treated at the scene for minor heat-related injuries, a spokesman for the service said.

Nearby residents have been advised to keep their windows and doors closed as a precaution.

A West Midlands Fire Service spokesman said: “Around 100,000 tonnes of plastic recycling material is involved in the blaze.

“We’ve had a couple of similar fires in the last few months in the region but there isn’t a trend.

“The blaze is certainly one of the largest we’ve tackled but not the largest ever.

“We’re making good progress at the moment at the scene.

“There is no danger to the public but we have advised residents to keep their windows and doors shut as a precautionary measure.”

There had been fears that flights at Birmingham International Airport could have been affected by the huge 6,000ft (1,830m) column of smoke thrown up from the intense blaze.

However, an airport spokesman said “operations were continuing as normal” and no flights had been affected.

Meanwhile, West Midlands Ambulance Service said a total of 11 firefighters had now been treated for a variety of injuries with three taken to hospital, although none are seriously hurt.

An ambulance service spokesman said the smoke plume from the blaze was so high it could be seen in Warwickshire, 30 miles away.

No-one from Jayplas – J&A Young (Leicester) Ltd – was immediately available for comment.


More in this Section

Florida reports record coronavirus cases as US holiday weekend causes concernFlorida reports record coronavirus cases as US holiday weekend causes concern

Boris Johnson’s father defends visit to Greece during lockdownBoris Johnson’s father defends visit to Greece during lockdown

Two women critically injured after car drives through crowd of protesters in SeattleTwo women critically injured after car drives through crowd of protesters in Seattle

Much of US scales back on Independence Day events as Trump plans big celebrationMuch of US scales back on Independence Day events as Trump plans big celebration


Lifestyle

When the ferryman pulls away from the pier and the salty spray of the sea hits your face the feeling of release from the mainland is deeply pleasurable. Your island awaits. Whether for a day trip or a holiday, the lure of the islands is as magnetic as ever.The Islands of Ireland: The lure of the less-visited

From Tom Waits and Kurt Cobain, to Bertrand Russell and the Big Lebowski, singer Mick Flannery tells Richard Fitzpatrick about his cultural touchstones.Culture That Made Me: Mick Flannery

Esther N McCarthy is starry-eyed for prints, eager for elephants and jealous of a toaster this weekWe're all starry-eyed for prints, eager for elephants and jealous of a toaster this week

'Irish is my first language. I was almost five before I spoke English. One memory of my school years is the metre stick and being hit with that and the shock of it. But the most vivid memory is loving going to school.'School Daze with Eibhlín Ní Chonghaile: ‘Sky News was the best learning curve of my life’

More From The Irish Examiner