Catholic Church joins Australia child abuse compensation plan

Catholic Church joins Australia child abuse compensation plan
Pope Francis' former finance minister Cardinal George Pell faces trial on sexual assault charges in Australia.

Australia's Catholic Church has committed to joining the government's redress scheme for victims of child sexual abuse.

It paves the way for compensation to be paid to people who were sexually abused as children by church figures and puts pressure on other institutions to follow suit.

The country's Catholic bishops and leaders of its religious orders committed to signing on to the $3.8bn national plan on Wednesday.

The church is the first non-government institution to opt into the plan and estimates it will itself be liable for about $1bn in compensation.

Federal Social Services Minister Dan Tehan expects more institutions to follow, saying there could be further announcements as early as Thursday.

Archbishop of Adelaide Philip Wilson last week became the most senior Catholic cleric in the world to be convicted of covering up child sex abuse. He faces a potential two-year prison term when he appears in court in June to be sentenced for protecting a paedophile priest in the 1970s.

Pope Francis' former finance minister Cardinal George Pell faces trial on sexual assault charges in Australia.

The exact details and nature of the charges have not been disclosed to the public, but police have described them as "historical" sexual assaults, meaning they are alleged to have occurred decades ago.

Catholic leaders have long backed a national redress plan but the churches, charities and other non-government institutions needed the state and territory governments to sign on first.

Western Australia is the final state to join, although state Attorney-General John Quigley said the negotiations with the federal government could be finalised within two months.

The Australian Catholic Bishops Conference and Catholic Religious Australia on Wednesday confirmed the church will enter the plan when it becomes law.

Mr Tehan said the plan was on track to begin on July 1 if legislation passed the Senate.

Sydney Archbishop Anthony Fisher said the church expected to be paying out to survivors for "many years to come".

The plan will cover about 60,000 people who were sexually abused as children by institutional figures. Payments will be capped at $150,000, with previously received compensation being deducted from any new amount.

The plan was recommended by the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse, which made its final report in December.

Australia's longest-running royal commission - which is the country's highest form of inquiry - had been investigating since 2012 how the Catholic Church and other institutions responded to sexual abuse of children in Australia over 90 years.

The inquiry heard the testimonies of more than 8,000 survivors of child sex abuse. Of those who were abused in religious institutions, 62% were Catholics.

- Press Association

More on this topic

Man who assaulted son and exposed him to heroin use jailed for one yearMan who assaulted son and exposed him to heroin use jailed for one year

Academics urge withdrawal of abuse records legislationAcademics urge withdrawal of abuse records legislation

Abuse victims hail progress in procuring compensation moneyAbuse victims hail progress in procuring compensation money

Legal experts join survivors in protest of controversial child abuse record legislation Legal experts join survivors in protest of controversial child abuse record legislation

More in this Section

Wildlife conservationist attacked by several of her own tigersWildlife conservationist attacked by several of her own tigers

Finland's social democrats select country's youngest-ever prime ministerFinland's social democrats select country's youngest-ever prime minister

US naval base fatal shooting presumed to be terror act, says FBIUS naval base fatal shooting presumed to be terror act, says FBI

Saudi restaurants no longer need to segregate women and menSaudi restaurants no longer need to segregate women and men


Lifestyle

Overshadowed by its giant neighbours it may be, but the smallest of the main Blasket islands, Beginish, is no less impressive in its own right.The Islands of Ireland: The miracle of Beginish

‘The days of our years are threescore years and ten — Psalm 90How to tell an animal’s age in a heartbeat

We often hear how nature will do well, even come back from the brink of extinction, if given a chance and some human help.Birds of prey on the rise

In our country we still have places that bear no evidence of disturbance by man, that are in their pristine state and rich with all the elements that feed the spirit and deliver us into the world beyond the skin of the time and circumstances we live in.Unique ambience of Dursey Island under threat

More From The Irish Examiner