British resident faces further Guantanamo Bay 'farce'

The US government was today accused of “farce” after dropping all charges against a British resident held at Guantanamo Bay.

Binyam Mohamed, who is accused of terrorism, is now likely to be charged again within weeks, according to legal action charity Reprieve.

Reprieve director Clive Stafford Smith said: “Far from being a victory for Mr Mohamed in his long-running struggle for justice, this is more of the same farce that is Guantanamo.

“The military has informed us that they plan to charge him again within a month, after the election.”

The US military dropped all charges last night “without prejudice”.

Reprieve said US military prosecutor Lieutenant Colonel Darrel Vandeveld, who resigned last month, had raised complaints about the suppression of evidence.

The charity said the US government violated a federal order to produce evidence in Mohamed’s favour.

But it said the Pentagon intended to re-file charges within 30 days with prosecutors arguing the complaints have been resolved.

Mohamed, 30, who lived in west London, was arrested in Pakistan in 2002 and transferred to Guantanamo in 2004.

He was accused of planning an attack that included the use of radioactive material and chemical weapons.

But Mohamed insists he admitted to plotting the dirty bomb attack only after being tortured, which included having his penis cut with a razor.

Mr Stafford Smith said: “The Bush Administration will not even admit in public that they rendered Mr Mohamed to face torture in Morocco, let alone allow him a fair trial.

“Meanwhile he sits in solitary confinement in Guantanamo, in total despair, contemplating whether he should just commit suicide.”

Reprieve, which has long campaigned for the case against Mohamed to be dropped, says he should be returned to the UK.

They say he is a victim of “extraordinary rendition” and torture.

The charity says Mohamed was sent to Morocco by the CIA in July 2002, where he was tortured for 18 months before being rendered to a secret prison in Afghanistan.

Mohamed has been fighting a long, high-profile legal battle in both the American and English courts for access to 42 documents.

Lawyers for the Muslim convert believe the secret papers may contain information backing his claim that he only confessed to terrorist activities after being held incommunicado for two years and suffering ill-treatment.

The US government has been accused of using a strategy of delay to avoid having to disclose the evidence that could support the torture allegations.

More on this topic

Guantanamo 'does not meet Geneva Convention standards'Guantanamo 'does not meet Geneva Convention standards'

Obama accused of 'abandoning' Guantanamo prisonersObama accused of 'abandoning' Guantanamo prisoners

Guantanamo prisoners battle guardsGuantanamo prisoners battle guards

Criminal inquiry into British spiesCriminal inquiry into British spies


More in this Section

Locals have mixed feelings about Barcelona’s lack of tourists in lockdownLocals have mixed feelings about Barcelona’s lack of tourists in lockdown

Mourning period for George Floyd begins as protests continue worldwideMourning period for George Floyd begins as protests continue worldwide

Houses swept into sea by landslide in Arctic NorwayHouses swept into sea by landslide in Arctic Norway

Las Vegas reopens its doors to gamblers following Covid-19 lockdownLas Vegas reopens its doors to gamblers following Covid-19 lockdown


Lifestyle

Nidge and co return for a repeat of a series that gripped the nation over its five seasons.Friday's TV Highlights: Love/Hate returns while Springwatch looks at rewilding

A family expert at the charity Action for Children advises how parents can maintain contact with kids after separation if there’s an access problem.My ex won’t let me see my child because I haven’t paid maintenance during lockdown. What can I do?

THREE years ago, when radio presenter Daniella Moyles announced that she was quitting, few could have guessed from her upbeat Instagram post the inner turmoil she’d been enduring.Daniella Moyles on how she beat anxiety

Leaders in the fields of mindfulness and meditation are offering free online support to help us de-stress and take control, says Margaret JenningsBreathe easy: Free online guidance on how to calm your mind

More From The Irish Examiner