British man arrested over Hong Kong murder

British man arrested over Hong Kong murder

A British man has been arrested over a double murder in Hong Kong.

Police said a 29-year-old man was held after the bodies of two women were found at an address in the Wan Chai district yesterday.

One of the women – aged between 25 and 30 – was found with wounds to her neck and buttock, and pronounced dead at the scene.

The body of the other victim was found inside a suitcase on the balcony and she had sustained neck injuries, police said.

Officers were called to the address – reportedly an apartment – in the early hours and later seized a knife.

A statement from Hong Kong Police said: “Police are investigating a murder case in Wan Chai in the small hours of today (November 1) in which a foreign woman aged between 25 and 30, and another woman were killed.

“At about 3.42am, a 29-year-old foreign man made a report and requested police to investigate a case in a unit at 60 Johnston Road, Wan Chai.

“Police sped to the scene and an unconscious woman aged 25 to 30 was found lying inside the unit. Sustaining cut wounds to her neck and buttock, the woman was certified dead at scene.

“In the course of investigation, police found a suitcase at the balcony of the unit, and a female dead body with neck injuries was found inside the suitcase.

“Police arrested the 29-year-old man at the scene for murder. He is being detained for enquiries. A knife was seized at the scene.

“Post-mortem examinations will be conducted later to ascertain the causes of death of the deceased.”

Reports suggest the man is a banker and that he called police to alert them to what had happened.

The body of the woman found in the suitcase had been there for a while, Wan Chai assistant district commander for crime Wan Siu-hung told the South China Morning Post.

“We believe the woman had been dead for quite some time,” he said.

The paper reported that police recorded 14 murders in the first seven months of this year, but added that the city has a “hard-earned and well deserved” reputation as one of the safest cities in the world.

More in this Section

What could happen next in the Brexit saga?What could happen next in the Brexit saga?

Defiant Boris Johnson says he will not seek new Brexit delay after Commons lossDefiant Boris Johnson says he will not seek new Brexit delay after Commons loss

Barcelona mayor appeals for calm after violent protestsBarcelona mayor appeals for calm after violent protests

Millions of people make journey to Iraqi city for pilgrimage of ArbaeenMillions of people make journey to Iraqi city for pilgrimage of Arbaeen


Lifestyle

These are the nail hues to choose this season, says Katie Wright.Perfectly polished: 5 autumn/winter nail trends you’ll actually want to wear

This early 19th-century table is one of a number of Irish lots at Sotheby’s Style, Furniture and Ceramics sale in New York on Thursday (October 24).Irish lots poised to add bite to Big Apple sale

Something for all at Hegarty’s auction in Bandon, says Des O’SullivanSomething for all at Hegarty’s auction in Bandon

Des O’Sullivan gives a preview of the Irish selection on offer at two sales in DublinPreview of the Irish selection on offer at two sales in Dublin

More From The Irish Examiner