Boko Haram claims responsibility for Nigerian massacre

Boko Haram claims responsibility for Nigerian massacre

Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau has claimed responsibility for the mass killings in the north-east Nigerian town of Baga and threatened more violence.

As many as 2,000 civilians were killed and 3,700 homes and business were destroyed in the January 3 attack on the town near Nigeria’s border with Cameroon, said Amnesty International.

The leader of Nigeria’s Islamic extremists took responsibility for the killings in a video posted on YouTube yesterday, the same day International Criminal Court prosecutor Fatou Bensouda said she is examining the allegations of mass killings and will prosecute those most responsible for war crimes and crimes against humanity in Nigeria.

“We are the ones who fought the people of Baga, and we have killed them with such a killing as He (Allah) commanded us in his book,” Shekau says, according to a translation from Arabic provided by SITE Intelligence Group.

The video shows weapons supposedly captured from a key military base at Baga.

“This is just the beginning of the killings. What you’ve just witnessed is a tip of the iceberg. More deaths are coming,” said Shekau in the local Hausa language.

“This will mark the end of politics and democracy in Nigeria,” he warned as the country gears up for critical February 14 presidential elections.

The attack on Baga has sparked international outrage not seen since Boko Haram kidnapped nearly 300 girls from a boarding school in April last year. Nigeria’s demoralised and ill-equipped military has failed to rescue the 219 who remain in captivity.

Neighbouring Cameroon has had more success in combating Boko Haram, this month retaking a seized military base and this week winning freedom for scores of abducted women and children.

In neighbouring Niger, regional foreign ministers today were negotiating how to establish a multinational force to fight the extremists.

Shekau taunts them in the video, saying “I’m ready” for any attacks.

Previous experience does not bode well. Baga was headquarters for a multinational force but Chad and Niger abruptly withdrew their troops without explanation and only Nigerians were there when Boko Haram struck, according to Nigeria’s military chief.

More on this topic

Boko Haram's last remaining girl captive 'refused to convert to Islam'Boko Haram's last remaining girl captive 'refused to convert to Islam'

Boko Haram returns kidnapped schoolgirls with 'ominous warning'Boko Haram returns kidnapped schoolgirls with 'ominous warning'

Nigeria 'failed to act on warnings before mass abduction of schoolgirls'Nigeria 'failed to act on warnings before mass abduction of schoolgirls'

Update: 11 killed, including 3 UN workers, in Boko Haram attackUpdate: 11 killed, including 3 UN workers, in Boko Haram attack

More in this Section

Peter Handke takes Nobel Literature Prize amid protest over Serb war crimesPeter Handke takes Nobel Literature Prize amid protest over Serb war crimes

Brazilian president calls activist Greta Thunberg a ‘brat’Brazilian president calls activist Greta Thunberg a ‘brat’

Extinction Rebellion protesters target UK Conservative election busExtinction Rebellion protesters target UK Conservative election bus

Donald Trump lashes out at FBI chief after Russia probe reportDonald Trump lashes out at FBI chief after Russia probe report


Lifestyle

Lizzo, Demi Lovato and Ashley Graham are among those prompting us to practise a little more self-love.5 times celebrities reminded us to be body positive in 2019

Wondering about wine for the big day? Leslie Williams has all the options, for every taste and budget.Something from the bar: The perfect drink selections this Christmas

Damon Smith faces the might of the First Order on the exhilarating Star Wars Rise Of The Resistance attraction at Walt Disney World in Orlando.Feeling the Force in Florida: Star Wars Rise Of The Resistance attraction opens at Walt Disney World

There’s nothing better than curling up with a good book over the Christmas holidays, says Kya deLongchamps.By the book: Our top home and interiors picks to curl up with over the festive season

More From The Irish Examiner